Author Topic: How much exercise do you give your puppies?  (Read 818 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Birdie Wife

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 122
How much exercise do you give your puppies?
« on: July 22, 2009, 02:29:30 PM »
I heard that the general rule was 1 minute per week old x 2 - so Cari is about 16 weeks, should get 16 mins twice a day in play and/or walks.  However, she's a working cocker and would be bouncing off walks if I gave her that little exercise... I don't walk to run the legs off her either. At the moment she's getting a 20 minute walk at lunch time and two 10 minute walks each days, total about 40mins. It seems to be enough to stretch her legs but nowhere near enough to wear her out.

So how much is enough?

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: How much exercise do you give your puppies?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
A simpler way which is the general recommendation is that it's 5 minutes per month of age 2 times per day so at 3 months 15 minutes at a time, 4 months 20 minutes etc. So according to this with Cari being 4 months old about 40 minutes a day is right. Caoimhe is 6 months (also a working Cocker) and she's getting an hour a day in total but it's broken up into several exercise, play and training sessions. The training tires her out much more than just running around ;) 
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mittens

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Rock Steady Eddie
Re: How much exercise do you give your puppies?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »
I don't know as I'm no expert, but I read around 5 mins per month of life twice a day? I agree with you though, at 21 weeks Eddie would be doing his nut at just 20-25 mins - so we take him to the park for a main walk, 10 mins each way with a run around over there so he does about 40 mins in total (he soon whines if we overdo it) and that seems to satisfy him so he's not climbing the walls at home. He also gets a 15 minute slow stretch round the block after breakfast (on pavement to get him used to traffic and wear his nails) and again a round the block stretch before bed for 10 mins.  :blink:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline CrunchyMand

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
  • Gender: Female
Re: How much exercise do you give your puppies?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
My poor Oscar had been bouncing off the walls, I thought it was only once!!! Am so pleased to find this out, now I can up his walk to twice a day !! Yeah  :D
Enjoying this journey !!