Author Topic: What is it with Cockers and Snails?  (Read 1693 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sassie

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 398
  • Gender: Female
What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »
I have spent the most of this evening taking snails off of Larnie, she is fascinated by them ::).  She watches them outside for ages, then brings one in and barks at it - whereby I distract her with a toy and show the snail the door....  She has now twigged that I do this, and so has started putting them under a blanket in her pen, or in her hidey cardboard box - they still get evicted from the Big Sassy House!

Offline bajoleth

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3688
  • Gender: Female
  • My Beautiful Belle.
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:35:43 PM »
Belle loves snails and slugs too ph34r, she forever has the slime around her mouth and its really hard to get off, but because of the threat of lungworm I am constantly getting rid of them and washing the slime off madams mouth. She does have advocate but I really would prefer it if she would just leave well alone >:D
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline JennyBee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5915
  • Gender: Female
  • Princess Brodie
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:20 PM »
I agree, I would try and keep her away from them because of lungworm ph34r. I recently stopped walking in an area covered with them, don't know what I'd do if they invaded the garden :-\

                              x In memory of Barney x

Offline sassie

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 398
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:40:35 PM »
Oh no! I didn't know this.  I do try to distract her and take them off of her as quickly as possible - I will be more vigilant and firm from now on, is it only if she eats one or can she get the lungworm from putting one in her mouth?

Offline JennyBee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5915
  • Gender: Female
  • Princess Brodie
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »
I think I'm right in saying even the trail snails leave can carry lungworm. It's quite worrying, don't think there's been any cases around my area but it's getting more widespread :-\

                              x In memory of Barney x

Offline sassie

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 398
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »
It's so worrying,and she thinks they are marvellous - hope we get better weather soon...

Offline kalem

  • Limited Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2495
  • Gender: Female
  • Me and my Gal xx
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:14:31 PM »
I think I'm right in saying even the trail snails leave can carry lungworm. It's quite worrying, don't think there's been any cases around my area but it's getting more widespread :-\

Jen your right  :D There was a video playing at the Vets tonight when the Lemster went for his ear check, and it was saying its on the increase and if your dog has been near snails slugs or frogs or snail trails, to call the Vet for advice, im not trying to worry anyone but would really try to discourage any dog going near them  :shades:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline sassie

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 398
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »
She's at the vets tomorrow for her final injection, so I will have a word with him, unfortunately because we live in the country near a stream, we have all sorts of creatures around, although I do watch her all the time, it is worrying - wondering whether there is anything I can spray on them that wouldn't effect Larnie..

Offline puppy love

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:09:20 AM »
Can you possibly post what the vet says. I posted on here that Indie was very sick the other night, she is fine now but we think it might have been from a frog. Another thing that is freaking me out is with all this wet humid weather, we are getting tiny mushrooms growing in the garden and the dogs are hoovering them up.... which is not good either. I don't know these dogs are a worry  :luv:
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline elaine.e

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 11029
  • Gender: Female
  • Sweet William
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
Can you possibly post what the vet says. I posted on here that Indie was very sick the other night, she is fine now but we think it might have been from a frog. Another thing that is freaking me out is with all this wet humid weather, we are getting tiny mushrooms growing in the garden and the dogs are hoovering them up.... which is not good either. I don't know these dogs are a worry  :luv:

We have the little mushrooms/toadstools as well and William was interested in them when he was a puppy. They seem to appear overnight so I used to go out first thing in the morning and try to pick them and bin them while William was peeing. It was quite tricky to do though, because if he saw me he'd come and look at what I was doing. He lost interest eventually, but I'll have to watch Louis when I get him in case he takes a shine to them. Snails and slugs are my other worry with Louis. We have a very mature, woodlandy garden and there's loads of snails and slugs around.

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »
Coco has never ever shown any interest in slugs or snails .................... until last night when she found some and I just couldn't get her to leave them alone  ::)  Hope she will lose interest soon as my garden is full of the little bleeders  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline puppy love

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 11:33:45 AM »
I try to pick them up too elaine, but we have such a big garden, it is impossible. I really don't know what the answer is.... :luv:
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline puppy love

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 294
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »

We have the little mushrooms/toadstools as well and William was interested in them when he was a puppy. They seem to appear overnight so I used to go out first thing in the morning and try to pick them and bin them while William was peeing. It was quite tricky to do though, because if he saw me he'd come and look at what I was doing. He lost interest eventually, but I'll have to watch Louis when I get him in case he takes a shine to them. Snails and slugs are my other worry with Louis. We have a very mature, woodlandy garden and there's loads of snails and slugs around.

Sorry... i meant picking up mushrooms - I'm just learning how to post ....
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline Mittens

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Rock Steady Eddie
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
we get loads of slugs and snails in our garden (like zillions) and Eddie does occasionally pick them up - which is a massive worry cos I know someone who nearly lost their lurcher to lungworm recently - our vet gives us Milbemax which is a broad based worming tablet that helps combat all types of worm - be careful - don't want to worry anyone unecessarily but our vet even told us not to leave his toys outside cos of snail trails!
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline drika

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 99
  • Gender: Female
Re: What is it with Cockers and Snails?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »
I too have aproblem with this. Splodge goes out at night and finds them. Disgusting!
Took her to the vet and got some stuff for lungworm, which seems all I can do really.Lets all hope for a scorching August.