Author Topic: Madness getting ready for a walk - update #1  (Read 4777 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jools

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2506
  • Gender: Female
Madness getting ready for a walk - update #1
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »
I think I may have posted about this before, but it's now much worse now that I have a 3rd dog.....and Coco has learned the madness from the other 2  ::). My problem is getting them out for a walk. As soon as they start getting the feeling we may be going a walk (and that can be something as subtle as me getting up out of the chair) they star to go nuts. It takes me ages to get my walking socks on as one or other of them will be biting at them....then it's the shoes - same process....all the while barking, play fighting and bouncing around in excitement. I must say at this stage that I do not wind them up - don't even mention the W.A.L.K word. My next challenge is getting their leads on - same bouncing /play fighting / barking. Then, it's out to the car.....same stuff again.

I really need to do something about it, but I'm not sure what, or how. I think what I should be doing is breaking their association between me getting my socks and shoes on and their leads on and going for a walk...and I think the only way I can do this is to do some / all of the same routine but then not take them out for a walk....which sounds mean and a total nightmare for everyone listening to the hysteria.

Just for good measure, I might as well throw in the fact that they haul me to the car and then bark constantly on the way to our walk.

I would love to be able to take them to the car, have them wait, get in and then when we arrive at our destination not chuck themselves out of the car as soon as I open the door.

Please help - it's getting so bad that I'm not enjoying taking them for walks any more.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline *Lucy*

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2300
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
Sounds exactly like what my house is like when we get ready!

I have no advice sorry and will watch this thread with interest as I would love to sort things out here too!


  My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline jools

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2506
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one, Lucy!
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline laurenollie

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1217
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:26:26 AM »
Same in my house too but I only have 1 dog.

I have started putting my socks and shoes on and sitting and waiting for 10 mins before actually going for the walk in the hopes Ollie will stop associating socks and shoes with going out. Sometimes I;ll put shoes on then do the cleaning up!

So i too will watch this thread with interest!!

L&O x

Offline mcphee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2406
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one, Lucy!
I can only sympathise. Afternoon walk here is quite tricky, unless I get the lead and collar on before he reaches the dog flap. If not there is mayhem with him doing mad cocker circuits all round the garden, so I go back in and wait for him to calm down. It does spoil the walk. DOG knows how you do it with 3. Perhaps Topbarks has some ideas.

Offline bluegirl

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5875
  • Gender: Female
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:29:27 AM »
I have the same problem. They get sooo excited as soon as they see the wet suit bottoms going on they work themselves up to a frenzy. Car is the same. Bark, bark, bark all the way there with me shouting STFU every so often. ph34r

OH doesn't have the same problem, they are quiet with him and he could actually sneak out of the house with them. They don't show the same enthusiasm, so I know it's something I'm doing and not him.

Bronte has made things much worse and I have found if I can get her to sit and calm it a bit the manic behaviour from all of them is not quite so bad.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.


"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline louis mum

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5693
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
So glad you brought this up, our house is murder too now Lenny is here  ph34r The hysterics from both of them drives me nuts.  ::) Yesterday we separated them to put leads on etc, but still have the stampede out the door with Lenny screeching  ph34r Its embarrassing isn't it  :005:

Offline jools

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2506
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:36:10 AM »
I can't tell you all how much better I feel knowing it really isn't just me.

Bluegirl - I do the STFU! thing too.....and also, my OH doesn't have the same problem with them as I do - but he hardly takes them out....doesn't stop him standing at the window shaking his head while I try to get into the car with the dogs  >:(
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6304
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »
You can solve this... promise.

All mine used to be terrible, but I just couldn't handle it with young kids to sort out too, so I had to stop it. I think mine don't do it now because I don't give them the chance and because if they start getting too excited, nothing happens. I never walk at the same time everyday, so there is no expectation (although I appreciate that's not easy for everyone). I also don't have them around whilst we're getting ready - I tend to let them out into the back garden with no hint that we're going out and then we get ready, when we're ready - I go out of the front of the house and collect them from around the side of the house. You could shut them in a back room though if you can't do this. I won't put their leads on until they are sitting nicely and everything is done calmly.. basically if they start getting excited, I stand still and nothing happens until they are calm and doing what I ask..

I don't have to be as careful anymore because they know the score and that stuff doesn't happen unless they are behaving nicely.. so it is possible to get it all calm given time.. promise!!!!!!!! They don't pull to the car because if they do I stand still again. Normy used to squeal with excitement in the car constantly, so I used to stop the car (again it depends on your roads so you might not be able to do this ph34r) and tell her to be quiet when she was quiet I'd carry on. They aren't allowed out of the car when we get to the car park until they have been quiet for at least a minute and are sitting nicely etc. I always used to keep them on their leads so they couldn't go nuts the second they escaped from the car and make them walk nicely on lead for a while before letting them off. I can let them straight out of the back of the car off lead now if I want to though, because they are calm about it. But if it starts getting crazy again I'll go back to keeping them on the lead for a while.

I think it's just about lowering expectation and letting them know which behaviour gets them what they want.. It does take time but six months of this should make life so much better for you, but it is a pain I know  :-* :-*

You could try taking one at a time to the car and making each one behave nicely so they really get the message.

Dave sometimes gets seriously yappy at Normy when they first go off lead, so when that happens I let her off first and he has to walk nicely and he's let off when he's in a calmer state etc.

It's important to enjoy walks and know you can relax on them too and putting a few basic rules in place and a few weeks of being a bit boring  ph34r will start to improve it and given time they'll start to behave how you want them too then everyone gets to have fun on walks!  :D :D

Good luck :-*

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline jools

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2506
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »
You can solve this... promise.

All mine used to be terrible, but I just couldn't handle it with young kids to sort out too, so I had to stop it. I think mine don't do it now because I don't give them the chance and because if they start getting too excited, nothing happens. I never walk at the same time everyday, so there is no expectation (although I appreciate that's not easy for everyone). I also don't have them around whilst we're getting ready - I tend to let them out into the back garden with no hint that we're going out and then we get ready, when we're ready - I go out of the front of the house and collect them from around the side of the house. You could shut them in a back room though if you can't do this. I won't put their leads on until they are sitting nicely and everything is done calmly.. basically if they start getting excited, I stand still and nothing happens until they are calm and doing what I ask..

I don't have to be as careful anymore because they know the score and that stuff doesn't happen unless they are behaving nicely.. so it is possible to get it all calm given time.. promise!!!!!!!! They don't pull to the car because if they do I stand still again. Normy used to squeal with excitement in the car constantly, so I used to stop the car (again it depends on your roads so you might not be able to do this ph34r) and tell her to be quiet when she was quiet I'd carry on. They aren't allowed out of the car when we get to the car park until they have been quiet for at least a minute and are sitting nicely etc. I always used to keep them on their leads so they couldn't go nuts the second they escaped from the car and make them walk nicely on lead for a while before letting them off. I can let them straight out of the back of the car off lead now if I want to though, because they are calm about it. But if it starts getting crazy again I'll go back to keeping them on the lead for a while.

I think it's just about lowering expectation and letting them know which behaviour gets them what they want.. It does take time but six months of this should make life so much better for you, but it is a pain I know  :-* :-*

You could try taking one at a time to the car and making each one behave nicely so they really get the message.

Dave sometimes gets seriously yappy at Normy when they first go off lead, so when that happens I let her off first and he has to walk nicely and he's let off when he's in a calmer state etc.

It's important to enjoy walks and know you can relax on them too and putting a few basic rules in place and a few weeks of being a bit boring  ph34r will start to improve it and given time they'll start to behave how you want them too then everyone gets to have fun on walks!  :D :D

Good luck :-*

Hannah xxx

Hannah, that's all really helpful - thanks! I'm going to try everything you suggested and will start taking them out one at a time in the car until they get the message. I can let them out the back while I get ready and then collect them from the side of the house.

I've just taken them for a quick charge around the field with the chucker and they were like dogs possessed  ph34r My new regime starts later and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Any other hints much appreciated.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
I agree with what Hannah has said and for me it's pretty simple - if my lot started carrying on like that they wouldn't go anywhere. If they do this and you put the leads on, let them drag you to the car and take them out anyway then you're just reinforcing the behaviour and to their minds lots of barking and leaping around = walkies! Caoimhe's only a baby and gets pretty excited when she sees her lead, she started jumping up and bouncing around a couple of weeks ago and I simply stood still and ignored her until she stopped and then I asked her to sit and when she did I put her lead on. If she started jumping again as I went to put the lead on then I straightened up again and ignored her until she calmed enough to sit again. Once the lead was on if she started to carry on I again stood and ignored her until she calmed again. It took a few days and it took ages just to get her out the door to go to the park but now she sits perfectly to have her lead put on and walks out calmly. To me it's just manners and if my lot are rude then they don't get what they want. If they started barging and jumping out of the car before I told them to I'd shut the door on them before they could do it. Should I have to stand there and open the door a fraction (while telling them to wait obviously as they do know what 'wait' means) and then shut it again 20 times because they didn't listen I'd do it until they got the message.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline clairep4

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2922
  • Gender: Female
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »
Hannah's advice is great, and similar to what we've done with the Muppeteers. They tend to get very excited when their harnesses appear so I started putting them on in separate rooms, but actually Zorro will now sit quietly while Bella's is put on. We don't go out straightaway after this so they have to wait for us to get ready (upstairs while they stay downstairs). If they start making a racket as soon as we get out the front door then I bring them back in again and close the door, and repeat the excercise until they are quiet when we go out (which is alot better these days).

Our only thing that we haven't solved is Bella and her chimpanzee noises combined with biting the dog guard on the way to the park. The STFU method doesn't work, nor does stopping the car (although have to say I haven't done it all that much as it's not so easy where we are, all red routes etc), nor does ignoring it, so I'm just holding on until we have a car with a boot that will take a crate and will then cover it up so she can't see where she's going  :lol2:

But once at the park, they're not allowed out until they are quiet, they have to have permission to jump out of the car, and we keep them on lead for the first minute or so and make them sit to have their leads taken off. We were finding if we let them straight out they would run around screeching like lunatics but if they have that first little bit on the lead, they don't do the screeching.

Nothing like a bit of cocker enthusiasm eh?  ph34r :lol2:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline louis mum

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5693
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
Right, I am printing this off and preaching it to the OH when he gets back  :shades: Thanks all, will let you know if we ever get out of the front door today or not  :lol2:

Offline louis mum

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5693
  • Gender: Female
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
So glad you brought this up, our house is murder too now Lenny is here  ph34r The hysterics from both of them drives me nuts.  ::) Yesterday we separated them to put leads on etc, but still have the stampede out the door with Lenny screeching  ph34r Its embarrassing isn't it  :005:
[/quote

Blue does this screeching noise as well when going out the door  :005:

Horrid isnt it  :005: The neighbours must think we are killing him   ph34r Mind you, he does it when he has had enough walking too  ::) Lard Arse Lenny we call him  :lol2:

Offline Jeanette

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4759
  • Gender: Female
Re: Madness getting ready for a walk
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
I've only got the one dog but do pretty much what Nicola does, Indie doesn't go anywhere unless she sits nicely and waits while I get my shoes, coat on etc and then she has to sit while I put the lead on.    Shes pretty much restrained now and just lets out the occasional squeak of excitement but at least she doesn't move.    Most of this was all done by clicker when she was younger as I used to click for everything but don't use it anymore.

Good luck, I can understand your frustration and I only used to have one doing that.    :D