Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 960 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rwasinski

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Fleas
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:46:15 AM »
Hello there everyone,

Another question - sorry for bombarding the boards with these.

I found two fleas on Blodwen this morning, caught them in my fingers and got rid of them. We used a Frontline Plus pipette on her neck straight after finding the first on this morning ( I found the second flea on her an hour or so after putting it on her.)

Any advice on what else I should do and how long it should take to work. Bless her.


Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline Joules

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12098
  • Gender: Female
Re: Fleas
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »
Sounds like you have done all you can - not sure how long Frontline takes to kill off all the fleas - it should be in the instruction leaflet.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Surfer Rosa

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
  • Gender: Female
Re: Fleas
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:30 AM »
I always use a vetkem spray on bedding, soft furnishing and carpets alongside frontline to kill off anything lurking evilly in the dark places.
Eddie, Jake, Setomooncalf and Yoshi
AKA: Abraham Stinkin', Russell Bustle, Jimmy 'The Chin' Smellynellio and Googly Puff.

Offline mcphee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2406
  • Gender: Female
Re: Fleas
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
My vet told me that most of the drop on flea preparations work by making the fleas infertile, which means you break the ten day cycle from egg to adult. This means that you will not always see dead fleas straight away. Some internal preparations, such as 4flea do kill the flea when it bites, and when Rufus was young and went down a lot of holes he would pick up a lot of fleas and I did not trust the drops alone and gave him a tablet which worked very well. I use Stronghold, which suits me because it does ear mites, mange and roundworm. I am not sure which Frontline it is, but round here we are told that it is not as effective as it was because there is a resistance building to it since it became so popular. It was so volatile that if I so much as opened it, my last cat would shoot off, whereas with Stronghold he never saw or smelt it coming. Other than regular sessions with the Dyson and washing bedding, I have never treated the environment since a colleague told me the sprays were very toxic. So far, I have never needed to despite having cats and a hunting dog. Fingers crossed.

Offline rwasinski

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Fleas
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:48:54 AM »
Have a spare vet bed and blankie so have put those in her crate now, and her bedding, toys, towels and blankie have all gone in a hot wash. Frontline combo is supposed to treat the environment as well as the puppy so fingers crossed they clear up. She has the 'dirt' on her belly. Saw another one lurking in her fur but can't quite catch that one - aaaargh!

The nurse advised us to wait until fleas appear before using it, as it kills and prevents.

I didnt think she'd catch them so quickly, we've only been out a few times and she has had no contact with other dogs. Just goes to show how naive we are! Where could she have caught them?


Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline rwasinski

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Fleas
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:49:51 AM »
Oh and it says 24 hours to kill them.


Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline sharonmansfield

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Re: Fleas
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »
She can pick them up out of the grass, I have cats and they have been known to sometimes bring the odd one in, I use a good flea spray around the house too as they lurk in the furniture and rugs etc.

Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline rwasinski

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Fleas
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
Spoke to the Vets and nurse recommended that I spray the house as well so I have hoovered all our wooden floors and rugs and have sprayed away. Haven't done the kitchen - I'll wait for hubby to come home and he can keep her out of the kitchen when I do in there. I used something called R.I.P, big tin, £14.



Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline sharonmansfield

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1290
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
Re: Fleas
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:02:58 PM »
Thats the one I use and its brill, I hope I am not tempting fate but I have not seen a flea for around 18 months and I have 3 cats and 2 dogs.

RIP is very effective and lasts a good while too.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline rwasinski

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Fleas
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Yay - sounds great! Thank you! Glad you have been flea free! One less thing to worry about! :lol:


Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!