Author Topic: Have I done the right thing?  (Read 1084 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mittens

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Rock Steady Eddie
Have I done the right thing?
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
...not in taking in Ruby cos she's lovely and really needed a home, but in how i'm dealing with the issues arising (sorry if this should be in general behaviour)...

Eddie and Ruby seem to be having a whale of a time, but totally at the expense of all Eddie's puppy training and manners! Last night's walk was an utter nightmare - Eddie went completely deaf and recall was totally forgotten and his jumping up and play boxing every dog in sight was back with a vengeance - it got to a point where I was being patronisingly lectured by an ex-army type with a lovely well behaved 4-month old springer about cocker traits - I either wanted to burst into tears or punch him!!   >:(:

This morning's play fighting got so over the top I separated them into different rooms for an hour's time out - he's really bringing the puppy out in her (18 months). I just want reassurance this was the right thing to do? Also, Eddie will be back on his long line tonight, but am I right in thinking I may have to start walking them separately for a while? Come the weekend OH will be around in the days again, so there will be two of us and two of them, which might make it easier?

Please, no "I told you so"  :005: - I'm determined to put the training in (she has her own issues from being left alone so long, like shadow chasing obsessively, but that's for another thread at another time  :005:) - but any advice on how to get walks managable in the first instance would be much appreciated  :luv:

Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Helen

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 20025
  • Gender: Female
    • helen noakes jewellery
Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
yes, definitely separate walks at the moment - will help them both  ;)

and I do agree with letting them calm down, as long as they don't feel you're punishing them and it's done in a happy matter of fact manner  ;)
helen & jarvis x


Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

  • Donator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2458
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »
Is either of them carte trained?
Im afraid play fighting is something that happens alot when you add another dog (in my experience). Its like the novelty of a new play bud being there needs time to wear off. The first few weeks are always the worse.

Mine play fight but I do use the command "enough" when its annoying me and they stop.

When Brie was getting OTT I did pop her in her crate with a kong for an hour or so to calm down.

Jack and Brie were walked seperatly until Brie was about 7mths  ;)

Personally its the shadow chasing that would concern me.

Offline ruby ruby doo

  • Site Member
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 383
Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »
well you would give your kids a time out  if they were fighting (play) excessively...would nt you? Sounds like they are really enjoying each other s company...a lovely thought for a dog that has not had much chance to be a puppy...obviously with big changes there is going to be some upheaval...Ed is still a pup right? well they all have their training up s and downs..you might want to tell the man who lectured you that you will certainly seek his advice when you feel you wish to solicit it!! dogs and humans are rarely perfect!!! separate walks sounds sensible if its becoming overwhelming or you both walk the pair of them for more control...good luck..and enjoy them...!  :luv:
jo & ruby =)

Offline Mittens

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Rock Steady Eddie
Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
Is either of them carte trained?
Im afraid play fighting is something that happens alot when you add another dog (in my experience). Its like the novelty of a new play bud being there needs time to wear off. The first few weeks are always the worse.

Mine play fight but I do use the command "enough" when its annoying me and they stop.

When Brie was getting OTT I did pop her in her crate with a kong for an hour or so to calm down.

Jack and Brie were walked seperatly until Brie was about 7mths  ;)

Personally its the shadow chasing that would concern me.

Yes - Eddie has had a crate since we got him at 8 weeks - he no longer sleeps in it at night, but if i go out for an hour or two he goes in quite happily (i know he's safe and not chewing anything he shouldn't be).

This morning, when their playing got totally over exuberant, I popped Eddie in his bed with OH in our room and took Ruby down with me to watch tv for a bit. Since OH got up they've been at it again, but i'm not now afraid they will wake the neighbours!  :005:

Yes i agree the shadow chasing is a concern - i'm trying to read up lots on the internet and search previous threads here - she's also very fixated on the light that shines through glasses (ie, lamp on a table, or light reflecting through a wine glass etc) - I have a meeting with the trainer Eddie has been going to, so we will hopefully be able to deal with it in time - she's such a lovely dog who just needs exercise, boundaries and company i think - but any advice on that would be appreciated too!  ;)

ps - having never had kids this is the nearest to dealing with 'little monsters' i've had so far!!  :005:  :luv:

Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Nicola

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16455
  • Gender: Female
  • FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
Two young dogs will tend to bring out the madness in each other, I agree that separate walks and training sessions are the way to go. I didn't walk Rodaidh together with Tilly and Alfie except on rare occasions until he was about a year old even though they were 2 and 3 years old at the time and likewise Caoimhe (6 months) has only been on 3 or 4 walks with Tilly and Rodaidh and they are now 2 and a half and 4 and a half - the two of them are fine but I have very little chance of keeping Caoimhe's attention focussed on me for long if they are running around as all she wants to do is join them. It just makes life difficult for me and rather than risk her training going to pot and both me and her getting frustrated I walk and train her on her own.

As for the play fighting in the house even Tilly and Rodaidh can occasionally get a bit carried away but a loud 'enough!!' will stop them. Caoimhe being that bit younger and more over enthusiastic does sometimes have to be separated from Rodaidh to give her a chance to calm down and to avoid him getting really fed up and absolutely hammering her - he's very patient with her but I don't like to let her push him too far. I usually just take her to the park for 10 minutes and let her have a play and do a bit of training.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x



http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mittens

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Rock Steady Eddie
Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »
It just makes life difficult for me and rather than risk her training going to pot and both me and her getting frustrated I walk and train her on her own.

Thanks Nicola - it all makes a lot of sense - on the plus side, I've been wanting to lose a few pounds so double the walks every day might not be a bad thing - always look on the bright side eh?!!  :lol:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Mittens

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 864
  • Gender: Female
  • Rock Steady Eddie
Re: Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »
Hi again - I dug out a couple of harnesses last night and attached them to one of those Y shaped lead extensions so I could at least walk them on lead together this morning before breakfast - it was a dream! They happily trotted along side by side, tails wagging with the only slight mishap if one stopped dead to sniff while other carried on!  :005: off lead park walks to be done separately still but at least I'm confident I can handle the two now for short walks on lead  :lol:
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby