Author Topic: Am I confusing Chloe?  (Read 695 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SkyeSue

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5139
  • Gender: Female
Am I confusing Chloe?
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »
Do you think your dog can understand that its ok to behave in a certain manner with certain people, but not with others? :005:  :huh: We don't go visiting very often, but the one place we go regularly, Chloe is deemed to be soo utterly cute, because she jumps all over the host and demands kisses and cuddles, that  its allowed, and if I disapprove I'm told to stop fretting. I don't really mind her doing this, to this particular friend, as both Chloe and him have a wonderful time... but she has to learn that not everyone appreciates it. Is this just tooo confusing for her? The only other friend we visit regularly is the same.....its a constant battle for me to keep her calm. On the odd occasion I go somewhere where she has to stay off people and furniture, I have to keep her on a line which is secured under my foot!!!!


Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Top Barks

  • Site Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5234
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Am I confusing Chloe?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:04:33 PM »
I think it is possible but it still may be very confusing to Chloe.
In my book it's all or nothing and with me it means I don't even begin to try and train my lot to jump up as you will be well aware sue.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)
 
Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline mcphee

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2406
  • Gender: Female
Re: Am I confusing Chloe?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:13:24 PM »
I don't know what the more experienced COLers will say, but Rufus definitely behaves differently with different people. He seems to sense what is allowed. One of my male friends makes him hyper by just standing at the door. On my daughter's graduation day last year I left him at 5 am at his house. Apparently he went back to bed and fell asleep, only waking up to find Rufus in bed next to him! My female friends adore him and just want cuddles. When he goes to Bonnie's house he is quite subdued and very well behaved (now that the gerbil is no more). Generally he is a softy with women and either boisterous or reticent with men. If I know people are a little hesitant I try and control him firmly, but like you I am usually told to stop fretting. Like you, if there is a risk of him helping distribute the washing or otherwise misbehaving I use the lead, but to be honest we don't have that many places like this.

Offline SkyeSue

  • Inactive
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5139
  • Gender: Female
Re: Am I confusing Chloe?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
I think it is possible but it still may be very confusing to Chloe.
In my book it's all or nothing and with me it means I don't even begin to try and train my lot to jump up as you will be well aware sue.


Think you meant "I don't even begin to try and train my lot NOT to jump up"......didn't you  :o :005:
But there's a difference between "jumping up", and suffocating the host....surely  :lol2:


Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye