Author Topic: Conkers  (Read 4301 times)

Offline terwish

Conkers
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
Pickle managed to very sneakily managed to get hold of a conker while on her walk and then sneaked it into into her crate - then while I was away for 20 minutes quite clearly ate it! >:(  Remains of conker shell strewn around her bed >:(

Result - Pickle disgraced herself by throwing up on the floor of the Puppy section of PaH at lunchtime! :embarassed:

She seems fine again now - in fact even when she threw up she was still wagging her tail - but does anyone know if conkers have a long-lasting detrimental ffect - or just act a quick emetic? 

I am I OK to feed her afternoon meal (she's on 3 meals a day) or should I skip it and let her tummy settle down and just feed her later tonight?  Please don't tell me she needs 24 hours off food - or I will have to endure the "starving puppy" / Hound of the Baskervilles impersonation she does!

Trish XxxX

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Conkers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »
I would your vets a call as Conkers are toxic.  I think it depends on how much has been ingested

http://www.petarticles.co.uk/pet-advice/pets-and-poisonous-plants/
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »
Ah I thought they were toxic - Brodie got her paws on one the other day and was determined to eat it, thankfully I eventually managed to swap it for some cheese ::). I agree about phoning the vets, I hope she has no more side effects :luv: :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »
Ah I thought they were toxic - Brodie got her paws on one the other day and was determined to eat it, thankfully I eventually managed to swap it for some cheese ::). I agree about phoning the vets, I hope she has no more side effects :luv: :luv:

Misha got hold of one last Autumn, whilst I got it away from her, she must have swallow a tiny bit, as was sick also.  I didn't realise at the time that they were poisonous until a few days later.  Thankfully she was fine by then.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline terwish

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »
Thanks all - just spoke to vet - he seems very cool about it - says unless she seems to be in pain then the chances are - since she threw up so wholeheartedly (!) that the worst of it is out of her system already.  And I am OK to go ahead and feed her and give her plenty of fluids.  I do know it was only a very small conker - no bigger than a 2p in circumference - and the vet says it is bulk ingestion that can cause problems.

Research on the internet is a bit contradictory - it seems as though the leaves, flowers and bark are actually more problematic than the conkers themselves?

I will keep a close eye on her this afternoon & tonight - and an even closer one on her pinching conkers in future!

I've never had a dog who was such a rubbish-hound as Pickle - quite clearly this extends to foliage and debris too!!! Lesson learned!

Trish XxxX

Offline Ainslie

• Our little Ainslie
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:36:44 AM »
Gosh never knew that about conkers.  Ainslie shovels all sorts into his mouth, mainly grass and twigs and dead brown crispy leaves!!!!   And yes this includes dead brown holly leaves still with the prickles on them!!! 

I will be on the look out for conkers now though and make sure he doesnt hoover them up too. 

Yesterday I found he had hoovered up a childs dummy!!!  We got back from our walk and turned him to me and inside his buster collar was grass, mud and a childs green dunny hanging out of his mouth!!!  So funny but I quickly got rid of that, silly plonka :-)
Matt, Nici, Ainslie & Tom :-)