Author Topic: Chloe is turning into a chunky monkey!! u/d lost half a kilo!  (Read 5002 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Chloe is turning into a chunky monkey!! u/d lost half a kilo!
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
I know we've done weights and measurements to death, and I don't really want to go down that route, but would appreciate comments, particularly from non-working workers mums and dads, ;) as to Chloe's weight gain. She was 13.1k at 15 months, 13.3k at 17 months, 13.5 at 18 months and now, at nearly 20 months, she's 14.1  :o I don't understand why she's putting on weight, cos her diet and exercise regime has not changed at all. She's been 15" to the shoulder ever since 13 months. Here she is....any comments much appreciated.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Re: Chloe is turning into a chunky monkey!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
She looks like a slimmer version of my Violet  :luv:

Offline tots

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
she looks gorgeous and definately not overweight :D

Offline maggieann

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »
She looks great to me. My boy isn't overweight and he's 15.5 Kg :D
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Selwoc

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
Chloe looks fine in those photos, check you scales  ;)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »
Chloe looks fine in those photos, check you scales  ;)

Well, it doesnt really matter if my scales are accurate, cos I get on them first, weigh myself, then put her in my arms and weigh us both together and subtract the difference. I did it three times today, cos I really couldn't believe she'd put on so much weight...and every reading was the same  :shades: :005:

But thank you everyone for saying she looks fine, she does in my eyes too, but I'm obviously biased :005:.  I keep telling myself its all muscle and muscle weighs more than fat  :D

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
They don't really 'mature' physically until the age she is now - so she's been building up muscle bulk basically.

Younger dogs usually do burn more calories as they're developing than developed older dogs also iyswim.. so she'll be steadying out just now and you may need to adjust her food if you think she's getting a bit chunky - but don't mistake a developed dog for a chunky one she doesn't look bad in those pics  ;) You know the 'gropes' to do so just watch her at the mo and feed by eye rather than an exact amount until you (both) find a level you're happy with  :D

x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
They don't really 'mature' physically until the age she is now - so she's been building up muscle bulk basically.

Younger dogs usually do burn more calories as they're developing than developed older dogs also iyswim.. so she'll be steadying out just now and you may need to adjust her food if you think she's getting a bit chunky - but don't mistake a developed dog for a chunky one she doesn't look bad in those pics  ;) You know the 'gropes' to do so just watch her at the mo and feed by eye rather than an exact amount until you (both) find a level you're happy with  :D

x

Thanks Hannah. I have been thinking that, although she gets the same diet and outdoor exercise, she definitely does not spend so much time charging around the house as she used to, so I guess she ISN'T getting the same amount of exercise as she was 3 or 4 months ago   :shades:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »

x

Thanks Hannah. I have been thinking that, although she gets the same diet and outdoor exercise, she definitely does not spend so much time charging around the house as she used to, so I guess she ISN'T getting the same amount of exercise as she was 3 or 4 months ago   :shades:

......but you're home is in a better condition, it's lovely when the 'calm' starts to become a little more regular isn't it? :lol:

I had to adjust both my boys food a little around this age too  :D

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
Oooh Chloe cover your eyes...bad bad mummy  :005: :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
Chloes soo  :luv: She has the most gorgeous thick black fur  :luv: My two are non-working workers and I really have trouble keeping the weight on them, they're such skinny things. I've not weighed them lately. Roxy was 8.5kg at the last weigh in, and Rio was about 10kg but as I say my to are really skinny things. (Wish the same could be said for me  ph34r :005:)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
Chloe looks fine - once dogs have been spayed they do fill out a bit.  When Misha was spayed, my vet told me to half her daily food allowance.  So glad that I did as she has put on a kilo on just half her daily allowance since Feb.  Though I do think that there is quite a bit of muscle from agility which has contributed.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 10:02:44 PM »
My 28 month non working worker tips the scales at 16.5  ;) She is really difficult for me to lift.   :-\ When she had her yearly check up at the vets recently he said she was a prefect weight for her build.  He could feel all her ribs and she had a waist.  She just has a very stocky build and thick bone. When she gets wet (which is quite often nowadays) you can see her outline and that she is not fat but she is just a heavy solid lump  :lol:
Your Chloe looks perfect to me  :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »
Chloe looks great to me too Sue  :luv: :luv: 
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 10:19:36 PM »

Chloe looks fine.  :luv:

Honey was at the vets last week for her boosters, and she tipped the scales at 16.25kg - throughout her health check the vet didn't mention weight at all, so I specifically asked as I had had a couple of people comment that she looked "really fat" (though I know what they are seeing is her fluff!) - the vet felt very carefully and said that, while she was at the top limit of where she could be, she certainly wasn't over-weight - as she has something going on with her spine the vet did say that losing a little weight may be helpful, but to look at not even losing 0.5kg... so we've reduced her food a little, but the vet certainly wasn't worried (especially as we're in winter, so she's not getting as much exercise as she does in the summer!).
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020