Author Topic: male or female pup?  (Read 472 times)

Offline darby

male or female pup?
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
I have 2 cocker spaniels - Darby is 7 and Clara is 2 - both are neutered. I have been thinking about getting a 3rd for a while. I have decided to go ahead with it.  :D

When I got Clara I was told that when getting a 2nd dog, a female would go better with a male. This has turned out to be true in my case.

I am wondering for the new pup should I get male or female? I was thinking female because Darby can be a bit sensitive at times and can get a bit jealous. I thought if I got another male that might upset him. Clara is very friendly so I don't think she would mind either way.

What do you think?

PS I read a post on another forum that if all your dogs are neutered it doesn't make a difference whether the new pup is male or female. Is this true?

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: male or female pup?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »
I started off with a boy then added a girl and for number 3 I opted for another girl... my thinking was similar to yours in that Jimmy prefers bitches to dogs. He can be a bit tetchy with entire males sometimes ( and this started after he was neutered), whereas Misty is pretty easygoing with all dogs regardless of sex. I was still a bit worried that Misty's nose would be put out of joint as she's such a Daddy's girl but it's worked out really well - all three of them get on brilliantly. A lot of it is down to luck though and there's no guarantees that any dogs will get on, neutered or entire - but from what you say it sounds like another girl might be your best bet.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: male or female pup?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:05:14 PM »
I have 2 girls & 1 boy.  :luv:  My boy Alfie is 6.....then our 1st girl Jo Jo who is nearly 5 yrs old came along....now we have Nina too, she is 2.8 yrs old.  :luv: :luv: :luv: Initially Alfie couldn't bear to even look at Jo Jo, and for many months i felt terribly guilty for upsetting him  :'( over time though he grew to love her & they absolutely adore each other now.  :luv:  Nina gets on really well with her mum (Jo Jo) but sometimes she can irritate/wind up Alfie  :'(  I would say overall though, that they do all live quite happily together.  One important part of their live's though is to try to have some 'one to one' time with each of them, this could just be a walk/activity/training because they enjoy this and it creates a stronger individual bond iyswim.  ;)

Personally, i would probably have another girl if i were in your situation.  :shades:  There are never any guarentees though that all your dogs will bond/like each other etc...us humans are the one's that create the situation with multi dog households, so we have to try to make sure that any potential probs within the 'pack' is sorted out to enable them to live as happily as possible together.  :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie