Author Topic: Proper Jeff groom today - help please  (Read 2433 times)

Offline JeffandAnnie

Proper Jeff groom today - help please
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
We are going to try and give Jeff a proper groom today. The problem is he is really difficult to keep still, and hates being brushed. I have no idea why he hates being brushed, we have tried, with treats, since he was a pup, and the last week have made a consistent effort every day, giving little brushes every few hours with treats, but he still hates it and as soon as he sees the brush runs away (even with treat at the ready). AFAIK we have never hurt him and there shouldn't be anything unpleasant associated with brushing, although he did go to a groomer for an all over clip in the summer so perhaps something happened there  :huh: But then, he was funny about it before that, and has always been a stiff, jerky, wriggly thing rather than a floppy, soft thing like Annie.

Unfortunately, this means he has now got some tats in his armpits and ears that we must get rid of before they get worse, so we're going to have to do something even if it means doing it against his will  :-\ We have detangling spray, a gentle brush, a clipper (again tried to get him used to this over the last week but he just treats it the same as the brush) for his armpits and a matt splitter. We are going to get some really tasty treats for him and take him for a long walk, then give him a bath and dry before starting.

There will be two of us, and we are planning to do it on the dining room table (groom Jeff that is  :005:).

So, my questions:
1. What can we do to make him secure (he will wriggle like mad) so that we can do the deed as quickly as possible?
2. How can we feed him treats while we do it? (one needs both hands holding, the other needs both hands grooming - no hands left to feed treats)
3. What type of treats are best for this? Lots of tiny itty bits or a few longer lasting treats?
4. Any other tips for making the grooming session as quick and uneventful as possible for all involved.

Typically, Annie, who hardly ever needs grooming because she has fine, silky hair, LOVES being groomed and will roll on her back for it  ::)

Thanks  :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Proper Jeff groom today - help please
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Can you buy some Rescue Remedy or Emergency Essence at your local Boots or other chemist? If you gave him 3 or 4 drops just before starting to groom it might help to calm him.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »
Good idea - I think I have some RR already actually.

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:31:01 AM »
This may sound harsh but  you are making him worse by pandering to him with treats, stopping, etc.  Sorry.  I had a bitch come to me when she was just over 2.  She was actually biting her owner during grooming and she was so bad that other groomers wouldn't take her anylonger.  The owner asked to stay to which my answer is always no! The dog never settles when the owner is about.  I washed the dog then put her on the table and dried her fine then the minute she spotted the brush she turned into a devil dog.  I got into my 'alpha role' and told her in no uncertain terms that this was happening and won't stop until I am finished.  Sure she tried to bite(not breaking the skin) and she wriggled and it took hours but she left full groomed and she's been back several times.  I am never cruel or hurt the dog in any way but I am harsh and I don't take any nonsense(only off my own lot!!).  That bitch now sleeps on the table when she comes here and her owner is amazed as she still can't brush her at all. 
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
Hmm, there's some good points there Saffysmum. I think it will be best just to get on with it firmly (but not harshly!) and confidently, ignoring all his wiggles and squeaks, and give him an extra-special treat when it's all done. I don't agree with the whole "alpha" thing, but I do agree that by being soft and always giving him the option of running away he probably sees it as a game and we have perhaps made a rod for out own backs. OH does the bathing bit, and Jeff has never liked that much and wriggled madly the first couple of times, but OH just stuck at it and carried on, and now he stands still and accepts being bathed (although he looks fairly peeved while it's happeneing  :005: ).

Thanks for the reality check.

Offline LindyLou

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
I am harsh and I don't take any nonsense 

What does this mean exactly?
Linda & Baxter

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:29:56 PM »
Personally I think somewhere like a dining table gives him too much room to move about and you're better using a smaller area like an ironing board  ;)

Once he's used to the table, I'd do it alone and give him lots of breaks if he finds that removing tugs getting uncomfortable.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
Is Jeff your deaf dog? I trim a deaf Cocker who has always hated grooming but don't think harsh methods are the way to go or even necessary as this girl (and probably Jeff too) isn't being unco-operative out of malice - grooming makes her anxious and you can't use the normal verbal reassurance with her that you can with a hearing dog. Ironically since this deaf girl has been spayed and her coat now needs clipping, she is miles better and is quite happy with me using clippers whereas before she always hated thinning scissors etc (especially near her head - I find deaf dogs can be quite sensitive around their head and ears). Just thought I would mention this to show that sometimes you have to understand why some dogs hate being groomed - I'm all for confidence and assertiveness when grooming but harshness never!
Jane

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
I would never be harsh with my dogs.

Part one is done and wasn't too bad after all. He really enjoyed the hairdryer (first time I've tried it on him) which was lucky as it took aaaggeeees for him to dry, and also really enjoyed being brushed  ::)

We initially tried using the clippers to remove the tats from his armpits but that was completely useless. I guess there must be a knack to using clippers; we both failed dismally. I feel another thread coming on...(would prefer not to have completely wasted £30  ::))

The bestest tool was the £2.99 mat splitter - we got everything off with that  :D We had a few squeaks and he didn't exactly enjoy the mat removals from his delicate areas, but he was pretty good really.

After an application of detangler and a good final brush with a soft brush I gave him a rubber sausage (real one to eat, not actual rubber) and put him down. He is perfectly happy and waggy  :blink:

Tomorrow we're going to have a short session and try again with the clippers (feet) and also trim his toenails.

I'm really pleased with Jeff - he was much better than I'd feared and it's lovely to have a clean, silky, fluffy little chap snuggled next to me  :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
I'm glad it went well. Now you've got rid of the matts in the armpits and ears are you planning to keep the hair shorter there?

I use clippers on the inside of William's ear flaps to keep the hair short. If you go down to the bottom of the ear leather with the clippers on the inside that will also thin out the feathering at the bottom. Hope that makes sense :D

I also use the clippers in his armpits to keep the hair short there. But that's not easy to do with clippers unless you've got a tolerant dog. I'm lucky that William is patient about that, but he still wriggles a bit. You might be safer with thinning scissors.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
Aw bless him :luv:  I hope he's still got his 'Victorian gentleman's sideburns' :005:  He looks very wise with them on :005:  Give him a cuddle from me for being such a good boy  ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
Now you've got rid of the matts in the armpits and ears are you planning to keep the hair shorter there?

yes, that's what the clipperes are for!

Geordietyke - we've not taken any hair off his face - he's still got his 2 inch eyelashes and Dr Watson sideburns  :005:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
Glad it went well. Rosie my 7 year old is the worst wriggler there is. She thinks that if she sits down I can't groom her!!

I don't know what clippers you've got, but I use this blade to trim under the feet and also use on the inside of their ears as I find it easier it control than a wider blade http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1382/oster-toe-blade.

I also found the best investment I made was a grooming table (it cost about the same as having my two professionally groomed) especially with Rosie as I can now use a belly strap so she can't sit down when I'm grooming anywhere but her ears or face  :005:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »
Glad its gone well, it can be frustrating.  Ellie isn't that great about grooming, but thankfully it's only her ears and feet that need attention.  Usually I work on her when she's all sleepy in the evening.  Her ears are a nightmare and seem to matt the moment they get wet (pretty much everyday).  I think because I do a little bit at a time she doesn't seem to mind it so much - ie, one day it will be a paw, next day another paw and so on, that way its not too much to cope with.   I did it like this with all the dogs to begin with and I think the main thing is to be patient.

Roly, vain creature that he is, loves to be groomed and will even offer his paws so that you can trim his nails :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
We had another session this morning to tackle the ears and get the final matts out. I clipped the ears then trimmed the ends, and there was SO much hair! I'm afraid they look a bit chewed now (it's fairly obvious I'm not a professional groom  :005: ) but feel a lot better. Jeff was good as gold, and even happy to be stood on his back legs by OH while I shaved the remaining armpit  :luv: He wagged his tail throughout and din't squeak once. Now we're on top of it it should only be a few minutes each session, and Jeff seems much happier with the whole business now  :D