Author Topic: how high  (Read 1104 times)

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
how high
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »
hi ive got a 6 month old cocker spaniel bitch..am i just being a bit naieve but my girl is so small shes only 18 inches long and is 12 inches from shoulder to the ground...i got her from a lady who just couldnt keep her anymore were thinking of trying to get better food for her as shes on plain mixer and meat what does everyone else thinks?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: how high
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:19:56 PM »
Some dogs are just built small - it doesn't necessarily mean she's not getting the right nutrients etc.  I had a bitch (who was actually pick of the litter) who only grew to about 10" tall. She was a little tot of a thing but otherwise very healthy.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
Is she a working or show type Cocker? Cockers can vary quite a bit with regards to size, there isn't really a 'normal' size for them, especially with working Cockers, but she sounds fine for a 6 month old bitch, 12 inches is an ok height for a bitch that age.

If you have a look on the Feeding board you'll find lots of threads with food recommendations. Most people on this forum tend to feed a complete dry food, sometimes with some wet food or other additions, or a raw/barf diet or a combination of the two.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »
My 3 year old girlie is only 16 2 from neck to tail and approx 12 inches from shoulder to ground!  

I love that she's petite and I know there are others on here with even smaller girlies!

I don't think changing her food will make her grow any more (only fatter if you feed too much!).  I find that by 6 months they've pretty much finished growing in height so looks like you have a tiny girly!  Lucky you....good things come in small packages!  :luv:
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
She sounds fine, just dinky  :luv:  Looking at her picture she looks like a worker, so as Nicola says, no real "normal" size for them...

Maggie's a little dink too... 12" from floor to shoulder and she's 2 now.  Small but perfectly formed we call her!
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
I think more important is to be in good health & in a the proper weight :D
"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
hi annie10,

What meat is she currently on? How long have you had her, and did you have her checked over by a vet when you got her?

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »
i got her a few days ago as she was being bullied by a bigger dog and the owner was desperate to find her a new home asap.
she was being fed bakers biscuits and chappie tinned meat.
the owner said she wouldn't eat dry food on its own so she added a bit of meat but I'm wondering if a better quality dried food would be better or i can stick to what she is fed now.

i haven't has her checked by the vet yet as she was taken to the vet 6 weeks ago by the last owner and i phoned the vet yesterday and was told all was fine with her then and she is listed there as a Cocker as both parents were looked after by the same vet and were both cockers. the parents were owned by an elderly couple who sold the puppy to Tia's new owner about 10 weeks ago for £300

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
You will find lots of threads on here with COLers asking about height/weight of cockers.  Cocker spaniels seem to come in all different sizes.  As long as she is healthy I wouldn't worry about her  :D

Welcome to COL by the way.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
she was being fed bakers biscuits and chappie tinned meat.
the owner said she wouldn't eat dry food on its own so she added a bit of meat but I'm wondering if a better quality dried food would be better or i can stick to what she is fed now.

Chappie is an "OK" tinned food, but there are better quality ones.

Re the Bakers, I would definitely suggest changing her over to something else (not Beta though, as it's very similar). Bakers contains mostly "meat and animal derivatives", which basically means waste products from unnamed animal sources (ie could be any animal, and any part of the animal, even parts we wouldn't consider to be meat); it also contains vegetable waste products, sugar, artificial colouring, and chemical preservatives, some of which have been found to be carcinogenic to humans.

If you email Arden Grange and Barking Heads, they will be happy to send you some free samples. Or you could try her on James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin or Wainwrights (Pets At Home's own brand).

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
is it best to try and feed them both on dried food only or one with moist chunks in it as well.
or is it better to use a mixer and canned meat.
my labx ash doesn't like just dried food but if i got a better quality one they may be OK.

Offline mooching

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
is it best to try and feed them both on dried food only or one with moist chunks in it as well.
or is it better to use a mixer and canned meat.
my labx ash doesn't like just dried food but if i got a better quality one they may be OK.

It depends on what works best for you really. I prefer to just feed dried food, I don't like messing around with wet food. But other things work for other people. A mixer and canned meat can be fine so long as they're good quality.

What do you mean by "one with moist chunks in it as well"?

What brand of food does your lab currently eat?

If you got some free samples of good quality dried, you could always try your lab on it as well, perhaps moistened with a little hot water first, to release the aroma.

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
What do you mean by "one with moist chunks in it as well"?

I've seen some dried food that states on the packet that some moist biscuits are in the packet and if kept stored properly will last several months.
i may go to a pet shop and try some different foods.

Offline mooching

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
I've seen some dried food that states on the packet that some moist biscuits are in the packet and if kept stored properly will last several months.
The only one I've seen state that is Bakers, which I would not recommend at all (see previous post of mine!)
i may go to a pet shop and try some different foods.
The only trouble with that is that you usually have to buy a big bag. How about emailing some companies for free samples?

Offline annie10

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
i'll ask for some free samples from a variety of makes and see how they get on. they can continue to use up the bakers they have now but wont buy any more of that stuff now i know what's in it.