Author Topic: DIY grooming newbie....Decision ***UPDATE**  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Sprinkles

DIY grooming newbie....Decision ***UPDATE**
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »
I'm considering having a go at Grooming Brody myself! I do brush him and trim the ends of his ears but that's about it! He goes to the groomers for the real deal every 12 weeks but that's just too long between cuts and he gets so much more smellier/difficult to dry/matted behind legs in that time. So I'm wondering if I'm capable of keeping him shorter in between cuts myself (so he still goes every 12 weeks for someone to sort out my mess!!  :005:) and I don't have to resort to every 8/10 weeks as I am currently considering.

I just don't want to spend a lot on grooming clippers and equipment to find I can't do it. I can't really justify the cost of clippers anyway. (I would go for the ones you all seem to mention on here...the name escapes me at the moment)

I'm worried about cutting him with the clippers, although I have just read the thread that clipping pads is ok so I assume I couldn't draw blood!

He currently has the clipped down the back and some feathers look at the groomers. Would I be able to achieve this myself? Has anyone had such reservations and got on really well? Think I need some encouragement!!!  :huh:  I can just see £100 pounds worth of clippers gathering dust and OH saying "I told you so!"  >:(
Jo slave to the Cocker! ;)

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: DIY grooming newbie....maybe???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:03 AM »
I have recently started using clippers on one of my cockers. A member on here who lives very close to me kindly lent me her to 'try out'.
I was very suprised how easy they are to use, and as long as you take it easy you shouldn't make any major mistakes  :005:

The ones I borrowed, and have now bought are the Andis 2 speed clippers, they are worth every penny IMHO. I give Lillie a skim over with them every two weeks, so have easily paid for them selves in two months, comparing the cost of the clippers to paying a groomer ;)

You will need to buy one or two extra blades, in addition to the one supplies with the clippers - there is a sticky at the top of 'grooming' by Michele
that clearly shows, what to use where ;)

Perhaps you could find a COLer local to you who would be willing to let you try out theirs?

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
Is Brodie a show or working cocker? Has he been neutered - that might make it harder without clippers?

I'm not an expert but Maisie is a 19 month old unspeyed bitch and I manage to do her myself - so far anyway. I've no training but have spent a lot of time studying photos of cockers coats that I liked and reading the threads on grooming on COL. It was the reason I came to COL initially. I don't show her but neither did I want her clippered.

She does have a fairly fine and straight coat and has never been clipped and I'll admit I don't handstrip. However, so far I've maintained her with the use of just good quality thinning scissors and straights for feet and tidying feathers. Plus brushes, combs and slickers. I find it really satisfying to know I can just pick up the scissors and tidy her up when needed rather than have to ask someone else to do it. I've had a little disaster where I picked up the straights instead of the thinners and ended up with a 'gap' (in the fur only I might add!) but you learn quickly!

I'd go for it and give it a try. If it doesn't work just use groomers again. The biggest issue would be how good they are at staying still really I think but if he's used to going to the groomers already, hopefully that won't be too much of an issue.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »
To give you some encouragement i was very nervous when i first started grooming mine but the more you do the more confident you become.  ;)

Could you ask your current groomer to give you a lesson?  this is what i did, i spent an afternoon with her & it really helped.  :shades:  i also spent a half day with a lady that only grooms cockers.   
I am far from perfect but i have to put things in perspective & it doesn't matter if mistakes are made as the hair always grows back.  :D 
With Georgia our puppy that i am just starting to show i take her to a very experienced show groomer.  Hopefully one day in the not too distance future i will build enough confidence & experience to do her myself too.  :P
The andis 2 speed clippers are brilliant & i would def. recommend these.  :D  I know they are expensive but as bluebell said they pay for themselves quickly with not having to pay the groomer.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
I started off buying cheap ones from Argos but ended up wasting money buying clippers which were not up for the job  >:(

I found some Max Moser clippers second hand on Ebay (which turned out to be a then member of COL) which a got for a good price and they have been fab.  I probably will upgrade these with some new ones at some point, as long as all my blades are compatible as I've spent a fair amount on different blades over the last couple of years BUT taking into account how much it would cost me to pay someone to sort out 4 dogs, they long since paid for themselves.

My friend likes the way I do mine to and I've taking on keeping her cocker tidy so I must be OK even though self taught with a little lot of help from Micheles clipping guide at the top of the thread  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:40:07 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think I may take the plunge!. Can anyone recommend the best place to buy the Andis clippers from and would I need anything else? Also is there a particular type of Andis that COL's go for? I have a sicker brush. Comb and coat king. I will certainly ask my groomer if I can watch her do him next time.

Thanks for the encouragement. X

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »
Is Brodie a show or working cocker? Has he been neutered - that might make it harder without clippers?

He's show type and is neutered.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think I may take the plunge!. Can anyone recommend the best place to buy the Andis clippers from and would I need anything else? Also is there a particular type of Andis that COL's go for? I have a sicker brush. Comb and coat king. I will certainly ask my groomer if I can watch her do him next time.

Thanks for the encouragement. X

These are the clippers i use  http://www.easyanimal.co.uk/andis-agc2-two-speed-clipper-with-free-blade.html
I think they come with a no.10 blade & i also use a 7FC blade  :shades:
You will also need a pair of scissors.  Roseline are pretty good & not too expensive. 
If you can spend some time with your groomer its really useful & a good idea to have a go yourself whilst she is there as she would be able to give you some tips.  :D

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
Thanks....are they quiet?

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 02:48:33 PM »
i would say they are fairly quiet, esp. compared to a couple of other clippers i have used.  :D

Offline Golden Sidney

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »
I am an ex-hairdresser and my OH is sure I can do a better job than the groomers.  I am just nervous and worrid about making a mess.

I use WHAL clippers for the OH & kids but my blade sizez only go up to a 4.  Does anyone know what size would be required for a cockrer?

There are some good demo's on youtube that make it look very easy! ph34r
Sid's mum x

Offline Sprinkles

Re: DIY grooming newbie...decision??? **UPDATE**
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
Ok decision made. I'm going to do it! Andis Clippers 2 speed clippers (which come with the 10f blade) and I will purchase a 7f blade too. A few more questions....

1. Should I get the Andis AGC twin clippers (black colour) or Andis super speed clippers (also twin speed, burgandy colour and about £6 more) The only difference (I think) is the strokes per second???  :huh:
2. Can you clip all the way down and around paws (his paws are creating so much mess and wet at the moment as so long) but keep very slighly longer at the back of his legs? This is the look my groomer does for me. How would I achieve that look?
3. I like to keep a short skirt. I really don't want the Shaun the sheep look. What do I do about that bit, so I use another type of blade or scissors? I'm a bit wary of pointing sharp scissors at him!
4. I like to keep the ends of his ears as short as possible. Can I clip here?
5. It grows back....right!  :005: :005: :005:

You'll be relieved to know he's booked in at the groomers on Monday so hopefully I can maintain what she does from then on and send him for a proper hair do every few months (to mend my efforts! :005:) My normal lady is off so I can't really ask to watch as I know it's her junior doing it and I don't want to make her nervous. I'm so desperate for him to be done I don't mind how he looks after!!  ;)

Offline black taz

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
it does grow back  :005:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: DIY grooming newbie....Decision ***UPDATE**
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Use this as your guide on what size blade to use where http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=32160.0

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Sprinkles

Re: DIY grooming newbie....Decision ***UPDATE**
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
Use this as your guide on what size blade to use where http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=32160.0

Thanks. But how and what do I do with fethering under tummy?