Author Topic: furminator...  (Read 5368 times)

Offline emma_and_tilly

furminator...
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
I have just borrowed a fuminator off a friend - it's amazing!!

Has anyone here tried one, it's basically a brush/comb that pulls out the dead hair, but it keeps it in it's teeth rather than spreading it everywhere and you can do it really softly.

I think they're expensive brand new but i am soooooooooo impressed!  My have to put it on my birthday list!

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
Re: furminator...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »
they are brilliant! I use one on my shepherd!

they are expensive, but, not on amazon! have a look x

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=furminator&sprefix=furminator

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:10:53 PM »
Might have to purchase one of them! Just don't tell the OH!  :005:
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »
I 'thought' that the furminator was wonderful, got loads of hair off and the coat looked good.  :D
However, when the coat starting to regrow, it grew at odd angles, spirals and tufts and didn't lay flat.  >:(
It took about a year to get the coat back to pre-furminator condition.  ph34r  I would NEVER use one again.  I now just use a comb and rubber band to maintain my girls' coats. It is much cheaper and does a better job.  ;)
I have to stress this is my personal experience and other COLers may have  different opinions.  :D
If you type in 'furminator' in the search in grooming, you will come up with some of these views.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:14 AM »
I 'thought' that the furminator was wonderful, got loads of hair off and the coat looked good.  :D
However, when the coat starting to regrow, it grew at odd angles, spirals and tufts and didn't lay flat.  >:(
It took about a year to get the coat back to pre-furminator condition.  ph34r  I would NEVER use one again.  I now just use a comb and rubber band to maintain my girls' coats. It is much cheaper and does a better job.  ;)
I have to stress this is my personal experience and other COLers may have  different opinions.  :D
If you type in 'furminator' in the search in grooming, you will come up with some of these views.  :D

I'm with you here Vixen - I would love a quick fix for my fuzzy brown boy but this just made it worse in the long run  :-\  Think a coat king is slightly kinder but the comb and rubber band seems to be the answer really  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:50:34 AM »
We have a cheaper version of the Furminator and it is brilliant for our Labrador - she is so soft now but then she has a major moulting session a few times a year......a comb is sufficient for the boys.....they just don't shred like Willow.

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
I 'thought' that the furminator was wonderful, got loads of hair off and the coat looked good.  :D
However, when the coat starting to regrow, it grew at odd angles, spirals and tufts and didn't lay flat.  >:(
It took about a year to get the coat back to pre-furminator condition.  ph34r  I would NEVER use one again.  I now just use a comb and rubber band to maintain my girls' coats. It is much cheaper and does a better job.  ;)
I have to stress this is my personal experience and other COLers may have  different opinions.  :D
If you type in 'furminator' in the search in grooming, you will come up with some of these views.  :D

How do you use the comb and rubber band  way sorry to ask but I just brush darcey although she does need grooming by a pro soon lol
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 02:21:38 PM »
How do you use the comb and rubber band  way sorry to ask but I just brush darcey although she does need grooming by a pro soon lol

I have given you a link to a previous discussion.
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=23500.0
In there, there is also a link to what the comb looks like with the rubber band threaded through.  ;)
I hold the skin taut with one hand as I comb through with the other.
Hope this makes sense.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Nicky

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 05:11:40 PM »
I have found that the fur grows back at funny angles too so i've stopped using mine.

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
Thanks I will have to get a comb first tho lol
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 12:01:14 AM »
should have said I wouldnt use it on my cocker though! sorry!  good for dogs with double coats, but, does snap hair  >:D

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
I have just borrowed a fuminator off a friend - it's amazing!!

Has anyone here tried one, it's basically a brush/comb that pulls out the dead hair, but it keeps it in it's teeth rather than spreading it everywhere and you can do it really softly.

I think they're expensive brand new but i am soooooooooo impressed!  My have to put it on my birthday list!

I got an original one for £7 on ebay.