Author Topic: How to make homemade treats?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Rubenkhan

How to make homemade treats?
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
Hi everyone... seeing as you all have a health of knowledge about cockers,I was wondering if anyone has any simple but not too smelly doggy treats I can make at home.
Thanks in advance  :D
******Ruben by blueclipse*******

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: How to make homemade treats?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
Sardine bread is easy to make, inexpensive and not too smelly :D

1 can sardines in tomato sauce (or you can use tuna)
1 egg
flour

Mash the sardines up and mix with the beaten egg. Add enough flour to make a stiff dough. Spread in a thinnish layer on a microwaveable plate and microwave for about 2 or 3 minutes until it's no longer sticky. Cut into small pieces when cold.

I haven't tried freezing it but I don't see why it wouldn't freeze. It keeps in the fridge for several days.

Offline curly_locks

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
I make liver training treats, Sonny loves them - boil liver (ox seems to be cheapest) for about 10 mins, wash under cold water and rub away all the foamy scummy bits, chop it up into teeny tiny pieces, spread pieces on a baking sheet lined with non-stick paper and pop in the oven at about 160C for 20 mins or until it looks quite dried out and is hard, you may have to move the bits around about half way through, and it may take longer than 20 mins (I don't tend to time it!).

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
Julie and Watson

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
Tuna bread here....same as elaine.e recipe but with tuna instead of sardines! I cut them into small squares, stick um in wee freezer bags & bung them in the freezer  :blink: delicious  :005:

Offline Rubenkhan

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Thanks everyone, I give the sardine bread and the lived bites a go.
******Ruben by blueclipse*******

Offline janda82

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »
my puppy loves liver cake, recipe below makes a loaf which can be sliced and frozen

blend 500g of liver, 2 eggs, 500g of flour, garlic a teaspoon oil and water to make a dough

makes cheap treat that goes a long way, someone at my puppy class makes the same cake with sausages instead of liver.
good luck

Offline JulieM

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:49:56 PM »
Hi,

Can very much recommend ElaineE's sardine bread recipe (thank you for this). We make a batch and then freeze it...only problem now is that the pup gets over excited whenever I open the freezer!

Offline ngadams

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »
Hi. Stupid question of the day.....do you defrost the tuna cake first? Thanks!

Offline JulieM

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
Hi,

I don't as she's quite happy to eat it frozen and it defrosts really quickly on its own- after about 10 minutes.

Happy cooking!

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
If you want a good selection of tried and tested recipes, you could order the NESSR dog treat cookbook!  :D

It costs just £2 + 50p P&P and all goes to help NESSR (Northern English Springer Spaniel Rescue - who don't just rescue springer, they help a large number of cockers too  ;)) .

The link is here:

http://www.nessr.net/smf/index.php?topic=18828.0

Happy Baking!
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
Sardine bread is easy to make, inexpensive and not too smelly :D

1 can sardines in tomato sauce (or you can use tuna)
1 egg
flour

Mash the sardines up and mix with the beaten egg. Add enough flour to make a stiff dough. Spread in a thinnish layer on a microwaveable plate and microwave for about 2 or 3 minutes until it's no longer sticky. Cut into small pieces when cold.

I haven't tried freezing it but I don't see why it wouldn't freeze. It keeps in the fridge for several days.

Maggie says fank you very much Elaine.... mum tried this one out today and I wuvs it  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline praia

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
The absolute favorite in my house is a liver and cheese mix shoved into a beef trachea.

1 cup oat flour
1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 lb liver
1 cup low fat cheese
1 egg

If we're out of liver we cut up pieces of meat and add a hint of garlic powder to the dough.

Mix the lot, shove into some foot long trachea and stick in the oven for a few minutes so that the insides will cook.  Sometimes I'll cut up the trachea into little bites or give it in 6 inch pieces for them to work on.  It's best when they're frozen or partially frozen (depending on whether the dog is picky) so they work on it longer.

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »
Help what is trachea?  I'm not up on all these technical cooking terms.

I use the dogs usual kibble soaked in chicken stock with shreds of chicken included.  I don't let it get too soft as I make it before each walk/training session. 

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »
this one isnt really homemade but i will share; i went to my butchers today and got 89p's worth of fresh tripe for my Delta, she played with it a bit and then wolfed it down, just hoping her tummy agrees with it...i also fill her kong with mashed banana and chicken sandwich filler paste (36p from tesco) and that keeps her busy for at least 10mins  :005: