Author Topic: sudden collapse  (Read 1131 times)

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
sudden collapse
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
Does anyone know why my healthy 8 month old puppy would suddenley collapse, was out of it for about 3 mins and was dazed when he came around. vet says to treat it as a faint, I'm not so sure.

Offline maddy74

Re: sudden collapse
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
OMg, that sounds scary.... I dont have the answers, are the vets doing tests?

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
I wonder if it could be epilepsy, hopefully not :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
Yes was really scarey, he seems okay now, the vet said  to wait and see if it happens again before doing tests.Feel as though I have aged 10 years since having Harvey, love him to bits but puppies are hard work and a worry!

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:32:38 PM »
could it be a reaction to a sting  :huh: :huh: hope it is a one off
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »
could it be a reaction to a sting  :huh: :huh: hope it is a one off

Or dehydrated/too hot?!  :-\
Hope the little chap is feeling better :luv: and of course you! :D

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »
I thought of epilepsy, hopefully it's not that.
Lots of healing thoughts and  :bigarmhug: to you both
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
Oh no, i do hope he is feeling better, dont they worry us. :luv:

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »
My dads border terrier did this when ge was younger and is now a healthy and lively 9 year old. The vet never could put it down to anything specific though. Hope you're pup is ok and it was just a one off. xx

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 07:35:57 PM »
When my boxer girl was about 7 months old she collapsed whilst out on a walk and was out of it for what seemed an eternity...I had to carry her for 20 mins back to the car...by the time we got to the vets she was back to normal...

Vet gave her a good check over...and like your vet said not to worry (easier said than done!!) and that it couldve been a low blood sugar level but it was fine at vets or couldve been her heart (although was fine at vets) and was prob just a one off...

Luckily, it was a one off episode and we'll never know what happened or why..

Fingers crossed its the same for your puppy too...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline mark1

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »
We had something similar recently with Bailey (7 months) and he spent the night at the emergency vets because he was just out of it. He is fine now but had us really worried and the vet never really nailed it despite full blood tests. I am still leaning towards heatstroke/dehydration but maybe it's just one of those things that happen as one offs and hopefully that is all your puppy's problem was.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
My last cocker, Sophie, fainted at the groomers once.  They brought her around with aromatherapy oils which they used to calm the dogs before they groomed them.  She was about 12 at the time and although the groomers were lovely she had not been going to them very long and to be honest she didn't like going there.  As I had her completely clipped I did it myself from then on.  The vet said they would do a complete cardiac workover on her to see if there was a problem but as she hated the vets so much I didn't put her through it.  It never happened again and I honestly think it was stress.  She lived happily until she was 14, still walking up to 7 miles at the time, so I don't think there was anything wrong with her heart. 

Hopefully it will never happen to your puppy again either.

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments, I do feel more reassured now I know it has happened to other puppies/Keep your fingers crossed it was a one off.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 08:03:58 AM »
My dads border terrier did this when ge was younger and is now a healthy and lively 9 year old. The vet never could put it down to anything specific though. Hope you're pup is ok and it was just a one off. xx

Ive heard of this in borders, apperently its pretty common in the breed. My dog walker friend got the shock of his life first time it happened, but the owners reassured him it happens when he doesnt warm down properly after a walk and hes always fine after (no idea why they hadnt thought to mention this to their dog walker before this happened  ph34r) . Since then he gets a strict 10 min on lead warm down before he goes home  :005:

Never heard of it happening in cockers thou but looks like lots of other ppl have experiences of it. Hope its nothing too serious

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
This happened to Jerry last year (he was 2) my partner had to carry him home from the woods. We took him straight to the emergency vet and he did bloods, checked his heart, pulse etc etc, he was absolutely fine. All he could put it down was low blood sugar (it did show as slighty low on the blood tests) we make sure he has some food before he walks now and carry snacks with us just incase but "touch wood" it hasnt happened since.

Was the little mite exhurting himself? had he eaten? xx
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX