Author Topic: Red eye and lots of head shaking! - Update grass seed and eye infection :(  (Read 1712 times)

Offline choccietoby

Yesterday afternoon we left Toby for about an hour (safe in the utility room with access to the garden) when we came back he had a very sore red eye.  No idea what he could have done, possibly scratched himself?  Anyway we then went for a walk and upon return he has started shaking his head quite violently as though there is something wrong with his ear or maybe the eye is bothering him.  He has been doing this all night constant shaking and this morning his eye is weeping some yukky light green gunk  :huh: Gonna make an appointment at the vet.  Im not sure if the shaking is because of the eye or perhaps something whilst on the walk got in his ear - grass seed perhaps? I cant see anything in them though. Been awake half the night with his constant shaking and occassional woofing in his sleep  ph34r

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
Re: Red eye and lots of head shaking!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:02:59 AM »
Hope vet has quick and easy answer for you  :blink:

Offline Dimples

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
Poor Toby,

My guess is either a seed somewhere causing irritation or possibly a sting??

Hope he is ok - keep us updated  :luv:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
He has to be sedated (they are doing it this morning  :'( ) to have a grass seed removed from his left ear, Im all shaking as Ive had to leave him and he was crying so much as I left  :'( Plus he needs eye drops for his eye, the vet seems to think he has either scratched it or something has got in it to cause irritation.  My poor little puppy, the house is strangely quiet  :'(

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
 :bigarmhug:'s for you... never nice when you have to leave them with the vet, even worse when you've not had a chance to prepare for it.  But you've done the right thing in getting him there as soon as you could. Hoping they find the  >:D seed very easily and his eye calms down as well, and you soon have your boy back to his normal bouncy self  :luv:
xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
It's horrible having to leave him with the vet, especially when you're not expecting it, so sending you some hugs  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

But on the positive side, the horrible grass seed is being sorted out and it shouldn't be long before you have your boy back home, probably a bit woozy and sorry for himself, but free from the pain of the grass seed and with some eye drops to soothe and heal his eye.

My William had an unexpected sedation a few months ago. I took him to the opthalmic vet because he had a tiny lump under a top eyelid and she decided to keep him in and remove it under sedation there and then :o. When I got him home he was sleepy and a bit wobbly (I lifted him out of the car in case his legs gave way jumping out) but after a couple of hours of feeling sorry for himself he was back to normal and ready for his supper.

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
Oh No...poor boy...awful and distressing for both of you...

Be rest assured he is in the right place and will be feeling more comfortable soon and will be back home causing havoc once again!!

Big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for both of you...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline choccietoby

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I felt awful leaving him as he doesnt like to be away from me (like most cockers), he is a real mummys boy.  Its very strange not to have my constant shadow with me  :luv: Am busy cleaning and tidying up trying to busy myself, not quite the same without him tripping me up and stealing anything I drop though  ;)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Tali has, obviously, just had this happen. These grass seeds are awful this year.

:bigarmhug: for both you and Toby. He'll be fine once the seed is out though. Shame they wouldn't do it whilst you were there, as it's very comforting to be with them.

Let us know what tyoe of grass seed it is - I suspect it's the evil foxtail again  >:D

He'll be fine by tomorrow :bigarmhug:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Aw poor wee Toby :016:
You're doing the right thing trying to keep busy, it's
not easy when your furries are at the vet, especially without
you.
Anyhoo he will be home with you soon for some extra special
mummy cuddles for a woozy boy!
steffnellie
xxx

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
I'm sure that Toby will be fine once the seed is removed.

I had to take in my saluki as an emergency yesterday as he was sneezing lots of blood... He had to have a grass seed removed from his nose. He inhaled it on a walk and it went deep inside his nose. It must have been very uncomfortable.

Now that it's removed, he is as right as rain again. I hate leaving my dogs at the vet's too, especially Flash (my saluki) as he is very nervous at the vet's. But yesterday, I was able to be there when he woke up and Flash licked my face and looked at my vet a lot (which he never does) as if to say "thank you, I feel much better now".  :D

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Dimples

Poor Toby - you must feel so awful and so helpless.

He is in the right place and you were right to take him.

Hope he's ok and give him a big hug from us. xx :luv:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline choccietoby

Well Toby is home  :D They managed to get the seed out without sedation - hurrah, with the nurse holding his head he was apparently very good about it, so its now out, but his ear is slightly inflammed and he has had an anti inflammatory injection and the vet wants to see him again Thursday to check on it in case it becomes infected.  He has eye cream for his eye twice daily for a week.  He is still shaking his head alot, but I guess its because its a little sore.  Otherwise he is fine and home barking and tearing around as usual.  Im very relieved  :D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Great to hear that he's feeling better already - what a brave little man  :luv:

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
So glad to hear he is home with his mummy, big hugs for you both x