Author Topic: Pulling on lead - nothing works!  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Pulling on lead - nothing works!
« on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
Roxy is 15 months old and she pulls like a train on the lead - so much so that I will put her in the car and drive to secluded areas to avoid having to walk her on the lead. She has 3 people who walk her - me, my oh and his son. Myself and oh stop everytime she starts pulling but not convinced his son does the same as I doubt he will have the patience to wait. When we stop she just sits down and waits and the second we start to move again she pulls so we have to stop again and she sits and the cycle continues.

I have tried a halti harness (didn't make any difference at all), lupi harness (no difference again) and halti head collar (she just rubs her nose on the floor the whole time). She chokes herself if I try with just the collar. I am tired of buying harnesses and different leads and nothing works.

We want to get another pup in a few months but I can't face the thought of two of them pulling so i need to get this sorted out and I am prepared to work at it. Please help!
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: Pulling on lead - nothing works!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
have a look at this it is so much better in my opinion than any of the other head collars
http://www.k9bridle.com/   as the lead attached to the back of the head
I hope this helps you

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:42 AM »
Thanks for this but it looks very like the Halti head collar and she just drags her face along the floor when I put that on her...I must have spent close to £100 on various harnesses so far (Halti harness, Halti head collar, Lupi harness, Pets at Home stop-pull harness (should be called 'pull more than ever harness'  ;), two Halti training leads (she chewed through the first when she was bored at Flyball waitng her turn), Puppia harness) so you can see why I am reluctant to experiment further unless I am absolutely certain it will work. Would prefer to 'train' it out of her if I can - but where to start?

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »
It is very differant to the Halti head collar
Unlike most other training halters the K9 Bridle works from the back of the neck,exactly where you need to have control
the halti point of control is from under the chin
The K9 Bridle works on a principal similar to a bit-less bridle for horses, so if that will stop a horse it can also stop a dog.
I too tried every thing like you.... i used the Bridle at first and now Bob walks very well just with a collar
but we do go to training classes every week for obedience... he is now 6 years old and we still go to this day
only now he can walk by my side with no lead at all ....

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »

Training her out of it will only work if you are utterly consistent - and if there is any doubt that your son is as consistent as you or your OH you will need a harness for him to use so he doesn't undo your work.  ;)

I'll talk you through the method we have started using at puppy classes - it seems to be pretty effective...

Step 1.  Have a clicker and a handful of treats.... attach lead to collar - lead should be in a nice "J" shape (so completely loose, hanging down). 
Decide which side you want Roxy to walk on (eventually) - if you want her on your left, hold everything in your right hand (lead over wrist, clicker and handful of treats in hand) - use your left hand to retrieve one treat at a time after clicking.
Have Roxy infront of you, step backwards - if she chooses to follow, click and treat.... repeat many many times.

Step 2.  Once she has the hang of following you, do 2-3 steps backwards (clicking and treating), then turn, so that Roxy is in a heel position on your left - click and treat.  Then return to being infront of Roxy and repeat this stage many many times.

Step 3.  Short walks on lead in a low distraction environment - Literally just about 10 metres at first - and you should be getting at least 10 click/treats into those 10 metres - try not to click/treat absolutely regularly, so allow one slightly longer gap at some point, so Roxy has to keep concentrating on you.  In the initial stages you will be click/treating virtually constantly - don't progress too quickly, as one of the main issues people have with clicker training loose lead walking is that the dog walks nicely, grabs the treat and then pulls ahead - if you are click/treating often enough there shouldn't be time.

Step 4.  Gradually build up on this - so slightly longer between rewards in the same environment, introduce more distractions (with a high pace of reward), keep it going for longer.... don't build too quickly - and if you are taking it to a new environment, initially go right back to step one to build those foundations (you shouldn't need to repeat them as often).  I think the major reason people struggle with loose lead walking (and I do - we use a T-Touch harness) is that they do the basics, and then jump to wanting perfect walking, missing out the middle steps of strengthening the behaviour.

If at any point the lead pulls tight, just stop and wait for Roxy to look at you - if she's utterly distracted, make some noise to attract her attention (but don't just keep repeating her name!). 
Make sure you give constant feedback - especially when you are fading out the treats - tell her how clever she is constantly.

It's hard work - and can take months to perfect - but it's worth it!!! 

While training is in progress, never ever let her pull on her collar and lead - if you are going somewhere and can't keep to the training, use a harness (or drive and let her off-lead immediately).  The harness won't necessarily stop her pulling, but it will stop her learning that she can pull on her collar. 
Also never pull her - the rule is that the lead must be in a "J" shape - it doesn't matter who does the pulling, this still breaks the rule!!!

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:31 AM »
Hi - I know where you are coming from. Oscar is a puller too and I didn't get on with the harnesses. What helped a lot with me is the sudden change of direction. He'd be pulling on ahead and I'd just turn and walk back the way we came. (Careful not to yank - just turn) When he'd caught up (wanting to pull in front again) I'd change direction again. I'd do that every now and again and after a while he pulled less and less and at any movement of the lead he'd look over to see what I was doing. Every now and again he gets worse again so I'll do this a few times and his pulling is less. I don't expect him to walk to heel like a soldier - just a "normal" relaxed dog on a relaxed lead just sniffing around is all I wanted.

Hope this helps.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
Just something to try indoors.

Roly will walk beautifully to heel when you have his dinner dish in your hand (at dinnertime).  I took advantage of this focused attention to get him to walk around the garden, firstly off lead and then adding the lead, occassionally giving him a bit of his dinner when walking correctly - might be something to try, even if it mean walking down the street with the dogs dinner  ;)

He does still pull but you can remind him to walk to heel and he will listen.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »
I agree with Trischie about changing direction - when we got Nerys she was 12 months old and had hardly been on a lead for walking - she was being trained as a gundog (failed, bless her!) and was driven to the fields and then just let out of the car.  Her sit, stay, retrieve were good but her walking was more of a dance and spin!  My middle son walked her a lot, and every time she pulled or spun he would change direction - now she walks very well by our side.  I walk her on a collar, or her harness which is not an anti pulling harness, and she trots along happily  :D

Offline seaangler

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
I agree with Trischie about changing direction - when we got Nerys she was 12 months old and had hardly been on a lead for walking - she was being trained as a gundog (failed, bless her!) and was driven to the fields and then just let out of the car.  Her sit, stay, retrieve were good but her walking was more of a dance and spin!  My middle son walked her a lot, and every time she pulled or spun he would change direction - now she walks very well by our side.  I walk her on a collar, or her harness which is not an anti pulling harness, and she trots along happily  :D

I to agree with changing direction...

Its seem all the America trainers also do the same (By Changing direction there is even IAN DUNBAR on U Tube doing the same)(trying to find it..

But saying that i saw him in another video using the halty coller......

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
First of all I want to say thank you all for your prompt and very sensible replies.

As you said Trischie, I am not expecting her to be to heel and off lead but just want to give my poor hands, sholders and back a break - before she breaks one of them for me!

No offence Karma but I will try the changing direction trick first before going down the clicker and treat route. If that doesn't work I am going to follow your intructions to the letter. Maybe I am unfair to my doggy but she doesn't get lots of treats - just occasional ones - unless you count the fact that she seems to get a tit-bit every time any one of us has anything to eat! And as for her looking at me when we are out walking that is the last thing on her mind. The crazy thing about it is that she pulls even when she doesn't have a clue where we are headed!

As for following her dinner - think I must be the only cocker owner whose little girl doesn't care about food and will leave hers all day before she decides she is hungry.

She is completely ball mad and a treat to her will be getting her ball...I'm wondering whether I can use this in some way?

Oh for the day she will 'trot along happily' beside me carolyleah :)

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
First of all I want to say thank you all for your prompt and very sensible replies.

As you said Trischie, I am not expecting her to be to heel and off lead but just want to give my poor hands, sholders and back a break - before she breaks one of them for me!

No offence Karma but I will try the changing direction trick first before going down the clicker and treat route. If that doesn't work I am going to follow your intructions to the letter. Maybe I am unfair to my doggy but she doesn't get lots of treats - just occasional ones - unless you count the fact that she seems to get a tit-bit every time any one of us has anything to eat! And as for her looking at me when we are out walking that is the last thing on her mind. The crazy thing about it is that she pulls even when she doesn't have a clue where we are headed!

As for following her dinner - think I must be the only cocker owner whose little girl doesn't care about food and will leave hers all day before she decides she is hungry.

She is completely ball mad and a treat to her will be getting her ball...I'm wondering whether I can use this in some way?

Oh for the day she will 'trot along happily' beside me carolyleah :)
Will she follow you, and stay close if you have the ball in your hand?
Start out in the garden, Let her see the ball but hold it close to your chest. Is she jumps to try and get it, lift the ball a little higher until she settles back to a walk. When she walks nicely by you quickly zoom in a really tasty treat and praise. Work in short bursts of 10 or so paces, and then play with her and ball for a while ;) Swap ball for a treat and repeat the whole process again - hope that makes sense :D
You will gradually be able to make the length of time you hold the ball a little longer, and if you want to, at this time introduce a 'heel' command :D

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
Bluebell - that sounds great and something we can all try to do. She will jump up for the ball but if we say 'no' to her she may well understand what it is we want her to do. Going to try that this evening :)

Offline Darwin

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
Sounds a great idea. Please let us know how you get on

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »
Bluebell - that sounds great and something we can all try to do. She will jump up for the ball but if we say 'no' to her she may well understand what it is we want her to do. Going to try that this evening :)
:D Great news - have fun! :D
Taking the ball higher 'should' stop her jumping up to get it without the need to say anything, only lower it again when she is walking nicely. It's a bit like a balancing act :005: Just do it in short bursts to start with so that you don't loose her interest ;) The play bit in between is really important too,
as that is the best bit for her ;)
Let me know how you get on :D
Caz

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »

Training her out of it will only work if you are utterly consistent - and if there is any doubt that your son is as consistent as you or your OH you will need a harness for him to use so he doesn't undo your work.  ;)

I'll talk you through the method we have started using at puppy classes - it seems to be pretty effective...

Step 1.  Have a clicker and a handful of treats.... attach lead to collar - lead should be in a nice "J" shape (so completely loose, hanging down). 
Decide which side you want Roxy to walk on (eventually) - if you want her on your left, hold everything in your right hand (lead over wrist, clicker and handful of treats in hand) - use your left hand to retrieve one treat at a time after clicking.
Have Roxy infront of you, step backwards - if she chooses to follow, click and treat.... repeat many many times.

Step 2.  Once she has the hang of following you, do 2-3 steps backwards (clicking and treating), then turn, so that Roxy is in a heel position on your left - click and treat.  Then return to being infront of Roxy and repeat this stage many many times.

Step 3.  Short walks on lead in a low distraction environment - Literally just about 10 metres at first - and you should be getting at least 10 click/treats into those 10 metres - try not to click/treat absolutely regularly, so allow one slightly longer gap at some point, so Roxy has to keep concentrating on you.  In the initial stages you will be click/treating virtually constantly - don't progress too quickly, as one of the main issues people have with clicker training loose lead walking is that the dog walks nicely, grabs the treat and then pulls ahead - if you are click/treating often enough there shouldn't be time.

Step 4.  Gradually build up on this - so slightly longer between rewards in the same environment, introduce more distractions (with a high pace of reward), keep it going for longer.... don't build too quickly - and if you are taking it to a new environment, initially go right back to step one to build those foundations (you shouldn't need to repeat them as often).  I think the major reason people struggle with loose lead walking (and I do - we use a T-Touch harness) is that they do the basics, and then jump to wanting perfect walking, missing out the middle steps of strengthening the behaviour.

If at any point the lead pulls tight, just stop and wait for Roxy to look at you - if she's utterly distracted, make some noise to attract her attention (but don't just keep repeating her name!). 
Make sure you give constant feedback - especially when you are fading out the treats - tell her how clever she is constantly.

It's hard work - and can take months to perfect - but it's worth it!!! 

While training is in progress, never ever let her pull on her collar and lead - if you are going somewhere and can't keep to the training, use a harness (or drive and let her off-lead immediately).  The harness won't necessarily stop her pulling, but it will stop her learning that she can pull on her collar. 
Also never pull her - the rule is that the lead must be in a "J" shape - it doesn't matter who does the pulling, this still breaks the rule!!!

Ohhh I do like this method, there is a video out there on you tube demonstrating it not sure who it's by or what it's called, twas posted on the APDT site some months ago.
my one big tip is to separate any thoughts of lead walking training from exercise until you get it cracked.
You can never let your dog pull!!!!

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk