Author Topic: Grooming  (Read 853 times)

Offline pud1954

Grooming
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
Hi I would love  some help please on grooming. Mack loves his baths and being stroked etc but gets very upset if we try to brush him, he is 18 weeks .I have tried a brush and a rubber mitt thing but as soon as he sees it he tries to bite and gets very upset.I am now trying to avoid it but know I can't I have even given him a new chew but he won't be fooled.I don't want it to become an issue as he is getting very fluffy and needs a brush.

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
Re: Grooming
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
Been there  :005: :005: (and still am to a certain extent)

Not easy trying to get an 18 week old pupster to sit still and NOT bite anything in sight!   >:(

One of the tips I tried which I found on here was to smear primula cheese on fridgedoor/ wall tiles and brush while the pupster is busy licking.  Worked for a while.  :-\

Is there someone who can hold Macks attention and feed treats (very slowly) while you groom him?  I found a treat, couple of brush strokes, another treat another few strokes for no more than 5 minutes at a time was the easiest way to go.

Coda is still a nightmare to groom and she's 20 months (hence regular visits to the groomers :005: ) but she is improving slowly and we can probably get about a 15/20 minute session now before she gets too restless ph34r

Hope this helps a bit but I'm sure someone with much more experience will be along soon to offer sound advice  ;)
I

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
Hi, I know how difficult it is grooming a squirming pup but it is a very important part of their life and needs to be done daily.  I started brushing Toby as soon as he came home, using a soft bristle brush, to get him used to it.  As he got a bigger, it was almost impossible to groom him on the floor, he wriggled about so much and kept biting the brush so I gradually moved him onto the grooming table (you can use a sink top, table top if you don't have a grooming table but make it non slip).  I placed him on the table and fed treats and gave loads of "good boy" praises and this got his confidence quite quickly.  It was then much easier to groom him and he stood still most of the time while I brushed, treated and praised.  It's getting difficult again now though because he has a few little knots which he is not happy about me trying to remove, so I have to be very gentle so that I don't destroy his confidence of the table and being groomed.  When OH is here, I get him to hold a tube of Primula cheese for Toby to lick and this takes his mind off his grooming and me trying to cut out the knots in his coat.  It's also a good idea to get your puppy used to having his ears touched, ready for cleaning.  Just lift them up and handle them gently, also the same with his feet.  Pick a paw up and gently put your fingers between the toes.  It all helps getting him used to being handled and building his confidence.  It's hard work but it's very important to groom daily in order to maintain a nice coat and build puppy's confidence.  Good luck.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
Cassie is 3 and still hates to be groomed. I used the cheese on the door trick for a while but I have found the best is to use dry puppy mix. I get a small handful and just give her enough to do a front and back leg then repeat on the other side. She loves her ears brushing to that is no trouble. She just grumbles then a bit for her back but that never takes long
I wouldn't have thought any dog would  feel safe and secure on an ironing board !! Cassie stands on a small chest in the porch I just say "brush time " and she gets up herself

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
I wouldn't have thought any dog would  feel safe and secure on an ironing board !!

Agree, I was surprised to see one or two members of COL saying they use an ironing board.  I've seen a picture of a dog on one somewhere on here but it is certainly not something I would stand a dog on.  My first post has been edited now.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
lots of cuddles, kisses and praise whilst grooming would be my only suggestion.....never force the issue, when theyve had enough let them go and try later.

i also let my kids brush them (aged 12 and 14 )....because the dogs love when the kids lay on the rug with them....so got the kids to lay down, dogs lay next to them and then brush gently.

gently, gently would be my suggestion......my cockers are now 2.5 years and 10 months and when they see the brushes now they love it cause they think its cuddle time... :luv:

Offline pud1954

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
Thank you for all your replies I have just bathed him he was  lovely then tried putting cream cheese on the back of the brush first then letting him lick it off OK so far... Than let him lick the tube while I brushed no way did he want that so started again after 4 attempts had cross puppy and very sad mum so have left it again.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »
I wouldn't have thought any dog would  feel safe and secure on an ironing board !!

Agree, I was surprised to see one or two members of COL saying they use an ironing board.  I've seen a picture of a dog on one somewhere on here but it is certainly not something I would stand a dog on.  My first post has been edited now.

I use the ironing board after tips on here - works a treat and the dogs seem perfectly happy on it. I do put it agains the wall though. For me it's a really good height as I have a bad back, plus there is enough room for the dog to stand comfortably but he can't wander off!

Here's Jeff after his blow dry and before grooming on the ironing board - his tail is invisible because he's wagging it so fast!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »
Thank you for all your replies I have just bathed him he was  lovely then tried putting cream cheese on the back of the brush first then letting him lick it off OK so far... Than let him lick the tube while I brushed no way did he want that so started again after 4 attempts had cross puppy and very sad mum so have left it again.

Awww.  Keep trying, don't give up now or you'll have big problems in future, you need to get him used to it now.  Have some really high value treats ready (chicken, cheese cubes, pieces of liver) and offer those while you very gently brush him.  You need to concentrate now on getting him used to the feel of the brush.  Try not to give up!  Let us know how you get on.