Author Topic: Ostepetrosis in Cockers  (Read 449 times)

Offline woodster

Ostepetrosis in Cockers
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
I now have an Orange Roan Bitch who is three years old, rescued, but who unfortunately has been diagnosed with Ostepetrosis (or Marble Bomne Desease) a condition which causes thickening of the bones (hence the name).  She is currently being treated by a Specalist Vet who has put her on long term steroieds (Predesolone)  I was wondering if (a) anyone on this forum has heard of the desease and (b) if anyone who has had dogs on long term steroids can give me any advice as to what side effects to look for or is there an homeopathic alternative to Predisilone that might be available. I don't know what Gracies long term prognosis is but she seems to be coping very well azt the moment.  She is also on a Prescription diet to protect her kidneys.  Any advice or comments will be welcome

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Ostepetrosis in Cockers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
Sorry I can't offer you any advice!  Just wanted to wish you all the best for Gracies future :luv:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Ostepetrosis in Cockers
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
I've moved this to the Health board as you're likely to get more responses than on an old Introduction thread.

I'm sorry to hear about Gracie, I don't know anything about her condition but my 7 year old rescue working Cocker bitch has been on Prednisone for 2 years now for inflammatory bowel disease. She also has severe osteoathritis. spondylosis and hip dysplasia which has more than likely not been helped by the Pred as it is a catabolic steroid (it breaks down muscle tissue). It's an immunosuppressant so dogs on it long-term may be more susceptible to infections etc. and it can also sometimes cause joint inflammation which is something I am concerned about for Tilly given her OA. She drinks a lot and is always hungry which is partly a symptom of IBD but also a side-effect of the steroids. Thankfully she hasn't had any behavioural changes but this was something the vet also warned me about. We monitor her liver, kidney and pancreatic function regularly and she has had hormone levels tested for Cushing's disease which can be brought on by long term use of Pred. Has your vet recommended regular blood tests for Gracie? If not this is something I would consider.

It's a balancing act for Tilly, she's on daily Tramadol for the OA and joint pain but she needs the Pred for the IBD and we now have to alternate it day about with Metacam which she also needs. It's a lot of drugs and it's not ideal but there's not a lot we can do unfortunately. For the moment she's doing really well though, she's happy and as healthy as she's going to be.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Ostepetrosis in Cockers
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
Steriods are not good long term for oesteoporosis unless supplements are used too (for humans) but in a dog even long term is not a long time so and if the vet thinks that may be the best course of action I think you'd have to take it. You want to ensure your dog as quality of life over quantity and steroids are definitely a wonder drug.

I don't know of this condition but funnily enough I did pick a leaflet about canine osteoarthritis in the vets this week.The leaflet says treatment is focussed on reducing pain and inflammation, slowing the progression of the disease, facilitating the repair of damaged tissues and maintaining or improving joint function. Treatment involves weight control, dietary changes, controlled exercise and physical therapy, anti inflammatory and analgesic drugs and disease modifying agents.

I know with my MIL's osteoporosis she is on anti inflammatory and analgesic medication, she also takes a low dose of prednisolone, and she has a calcium supplement and a Vit D supplement to try to slow down the process of bone density destruction.

I know my answer is not specifically about a dog but I'm sure the treatment of bone destruction would be similar.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.