Author Topic: Ear cleaning  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Linda B

• Donator
Ear cleaning
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »
I have been using Sancerum ear cleaning drops in Emma's ears for some time now with little effect, she makes this dark brown waxy kind of gunge, it doesn't smell, doesn't irritate her, but sometimes seems a bit gluey. We have taken her to the vets several times for ear infections in the past and I'm reluctant to take her back as she gets very distressed, upset and has to be muzzled. The vet advised using Sancerum twice a week to keep her ears clean, but it's not working, I also use wipes daily to gently clean the skin area in front of the ear hole.

Offline Linda B

• Donator
Re: Ear cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
Sorry, got posted before I finished, can anyone please recommend any products I can try or offer any advice. Thanks.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
Alfie is prone to ear infections too  :'(
I use Trizedta ear cleaner about once a week or if he appears to not have any wax then i leave it a little longer.
If you buy this ear cleaner it needs to be diluted with distilled water as it comes in crystal form.
Occasionally i also dab a little Thornits on the outer ear canal.
I think it also helps if his ears are kept as dry as possible.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »
Another user of Trizedta. I was told by the vet that it's neutral and a good product to use.  We had a major ear infection last year.  Have had a little infection back just before Christmas but got cleared up within a couple of weeks.

Willow and Katie

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »
Thornit Ear Powder - quite a few of us use it - marvellous product.  

There is a "sticky" thread about it.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline theshrew

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
Missy used to have terrible ears when she was younger. I tried a few products which yes cleaned her ears but the problem still came back.

I used to clean them a few times a week after talking to the Vet he suggested maybe this was part of the problem.

WHY - because the ear wax is there to protect the ear same as with humans. The more you clean it out the more the ear will produce.

So at this point i did put a tiny bit of Thornits on her ears a few weeks later did the same again. Cleaned them less and less just checked them every day. ( this was a few years ago now ) Ever since i did this ive never had a problem. She hardley ever needs them cleaned now and when she does its only a tiny bit to clean.

Personally i think that the liquid type cleaners probably do the job to well. Which causes a greater ammount of wax to be produced

Also i think how hairy the ears and surrounding areas effect how clean the ears are. (Missy is normally quite short ) They seem worse when her hair is longer. Maybe its because the ears will be warmer ? just a guess at that.

Just my thoughts anyway

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
we use Epi-otic... ear cleanser Touch wood Bob has not had an ear infection
my groomer uses it as well

Offline CorinneF

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »
Poppy is 2 years old and I have never cleaned her ears  ph34r she doesn't seem to have any problems and the vet has never said anything about her ears... should I worry?
Corinne owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:02:25 PM »
Also use epi-otic, but hardly ever. Was given tha same advice as theshrew - to leave them alone mostly (unless a problem). I clip out the hair inside their ears every 2-3 weeks with a no 10 blade to help with air circulation, and try to ensure ears don't stay wet for long (hairdryer after baths or soggy walk and swims).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »
Poppy is 2 years old and I have never cleaned her ears  ph34r she doesn't seem to have any problems and the vet has never said anything about her ears... should I worry?

No i wouldn't worry unless Poppy has a problem with her ears.
My other 3 dogs have never had their ear's cleaned either, its just Alfie because he is prone to ear infections.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline theshrew

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

No not at all. All you need to do is just check inside her ears regular. Clean if dirty.

Ears can be a problem with Cockers or any breed with dangley long type ears. The ears can trap things inside if you get the drift grass seeds etc which is the reason i check mine after a walk and dont let them run in long grass in summer. Also because the ear hole is covered it doesnt get much air to them which is one reason you tend to find cockers etc have more of a pong to there ears.

Its good practice to touch there ears regular then they get used to it if they ever do have a problem in the future. If you rub just below the ear hole you can kinda feel the ear they love this being done + it seems to relax them.

Offline Linda B

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
Thanks for all your advice and thoughts, does make sense that the more they are cleaned the more wax they may make. I didn't realise that Thornits was still around as I can remember it from way back, I'll give your suggestions a try and see how we get on.

Thanks again.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
Another Thornit fan here - fab stuff  :D  I keep the hair around Coco's earhole short so the air can get in - warm and damp makes it more like to get yukky  ;)  When I remember, I wipe her ears out with a baby wipe and when dry, put a pinch of Thornit into each ear using the handle of a teaspoon.   ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline theshrew

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »
Thornits does seem to have a lot of fans on here.

Jeeez that stuff stinks  :005: as long as it works is the màin thing

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »
Erin is 6 and never had her ears cleaned yet....maybe we are just lucky that she has never had a problem

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet