Author Topic: Ring craft classes fail!  (Read 802 times)

Offline Judith

• Hearts and flowers to my dogs!
Ring craft classes fail!
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »
We have been going to ring craft for a few weeks now and it seems to be getting worse and not better! OMG! It takes age for Winston to settle and all he wants to do is play with the other puppies, all seem very well behaved as well. He won't stand on the table or walk properly just pulling and running. I feel like giving up! I am just embarrassed every week. They all just say it will come, he is 16 weeks now. We do practise at home and he does much better but at he class it's just an embarrassment !

Offline CockersIndie

Re: Ring craft classes fail!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:15:41 PM »
Oh god! I'm
About to start ringcraft with my very excited 7 month old- somehow I think I'll be posting something similar soon! good luck as don't give up- it'll
Come I'm sure!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
Oh bless him - he's still only a baby & ringcraft classes full of other doglets, is like a room full of playmates just for him  :lol2:
He really will get there in the end but as with all training, consistancy & repetition will get the message across in time. I'm sure they've seen it all before with youngsters, so try not to feel embarassed by it all but have a little giggle at his antics  :lol2: :luv:
Are you taking a lovely tasty treat with you, that he only gets at 'school' - primular tube cheese spread is pretty popular with pupsters - very good for helping with standing on the table  ;) :lol2:  They don't need a lot but keeps them occupied for longer than a titbit  ;)

will keep an eye out for an update in a few weeks time,  saying how well he's now doing  ;)
good luck  :-*
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Judith

• Hearts and flowers to my dogs!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
I've got treats that he only gets there but he wont stand in the table , just wants to sit down or roll over or try and jump off to get to the other dogs. What do I do with the cheese? Spread it on something? Or what I've never done any type of showing before and don't even know if he is a 'good' example or not, tried squeaky toy but didn't even look round! Will keep trying but really struggling to get him to focus, the guy said tonight I am being too soft and need to be firmer with him, especially when standing , or practise on a wobbly ironing board to he has to stand still , don't know yet , will definitely keep trying , for now anyway .......

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
I've got treats that he only gets there but he wont stand in the table , just wants to sit down or roll over or try and jump off to get to the other dogs. What do I do with the cheese? Spread it on something? Or what I've never done any type of showing before and don't even know if he is a 'good' example or not, tried squeaky toy but didn't even look round! Will keep trying but really struggling to get him to focus, the guy said tonight I am being too soft and need to be firmer with him, especially when standing , or practise on a wobbly ironing board to he has to stand still , don't know yet , will definitely keep trying , for now anyway .......

No hun  :005:   just hold the tube for him to lick the end & gently squeeze so he gets a slight taste of the spread ..... a little goes a long way & a tube should last for ages  ;) If he does like it, make sure you keep it just for training or ringcraft to keep it really high value  ;)
Keep practicing, like the man suggested & an ironoing board can be a very good tool to use  :lol2: .......do all the little bits you've been shown, regularly through the day but only for short sessions & slowly slowly you should start to see some improvement.  :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:59:31 AM »
Welcome to my world. It is quite usual, don't worry.  I think you will find that all the others have been there and come through the other side. Better an animated dog than one you have to drag around the ring.