Author Topic: interesting reading - vets on vaccines  (Read 11087 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
interesting reading - vets on vaccines
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:54:53 AM »
Worth a few minutes to read I believe  ;)

http://www.petparentsactiongroup.org/vets-on-vaccines.html
helen & jarvis x

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
Re: interesting reading - vets on vaccines
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:10:55 AM »
That's definitely worth a read xx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »
The sooner these sentiments are echoed by all vets the better, in my opinion.  This quote says it all!  (very interesting reading).

“I totally embrace my profession and always have, but  the pharmaceutical industry has considerable influence on it; there is a huge marketing effort here – that’s their job. We are the ones that need to ‘sift’ this information appropriately. We, the consumer professionals, have allowed this influence to go unchecked.  It’s time for senior members of our profession to step up and place controls on the commercial influence upon relatively naive veterinary students and new graduates. This influence is even stronger in the pet food and supplements industry.  The government also needs to be more proactive and keep up to date.” 

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Thanks for that Helen, very interesting reading :shades:. Our first Cocker i only had vaccinated for the first couple of years, then i heard of a local dog dying prematurely due to vaccintations. so after that Donald our boy never had another vaccintation and lived to he was nearly 16 ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
I read something in one of the Homeopathic books the other day that if you do have to vaccinate, give 30c Thuja within 24 hours to offset the possible side effects

Will read the article in full later

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
Thanks Helen ;-)
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »
It's pretty much what you have always said, isn't it, Helen.

Pity is we are at the mercy of boarding kennels and the like who just won't budge on their demand for annual vaccinations.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
Pity is we are at the mercy of boarding kennels and the like who just won't budge on their demand for annual vaccinations.

isn't it just  :'(

I also read something about some of the 'modern' diseases like Parvo this morning.  The person claimed that it was a disease 'concocted' in labs which I have also read elsewhere as well in the past.  Very scary if indeed that is the case.  I wish there was the money out there to really research and take on the big drug companies but that really is wishful thinking  :-\

helen & jarvis x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
It's pretty much what you have always said, isn't it, Helen.

Too true.

Me and OH were discussing it only yesterday as Mika is due hers. I'd let it lapse but then they insist on being done twice the next time.

When I worked at a vets we often had drugs reps in and all that was discussed was targets, targets, targets - never mind whether the actual animal needed them or not  >:( I realise they're a business but pushing uneccessary treatments is unethical.

Thanks for posting the link Helen I'll have a good read later when I get a few mins.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
As you know we've just got Bumble, he was just 8 weeks when we got him and his breeder had the first vaccination done, her vet used Canigen vaccine.  I phoned 8 vets in Bristol, all who refused to do just the one injection, they all told me I had to do the full course again as they used Nobivac.  I told them I wasn't going to have him over vaccinated and contacted Virbac, this was their reply:-

Date: 03/08/2012 13:50:33
To: shirrmontana@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Fw: Vaccine query

Hi Sharon

Help is at hand!

I can hereby guarantee absolutely that Canigen dog vaccine is exactly the same as Nobivac - just a different label. If you have any trouble in this regard please ask your consulting vet to contact us at 01359 243243.

Best regards

Chris Taylor BVSc MRCVS
Technical Director, Virbac Limited
Tel: 01359 243 243
Fax: 01359 243 200
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). Please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information contained therein is strictly prohibited unless otherwise stated. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender by e-mail or by telephone and then delete the e-mail. Virbac Limited takes steps to prevent computer viruses from being transmitted via e-mail: however you are strongly advised to undertake anti-virus checks prior to accessing any attachments.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »
As you know we've just got Bumble, he was just 8 weeks when we got him and his breeder had the first vaccination done, her vet used Canigen vaccine.  I phoned 8 vets in Bristol, all who refused to do just the one injection, they all told me I had to do the full course again as they used Nobivac.  I told them I wasn't going to have him over vaccinated and contacted Virbac, this was their reply:-

Date: 03/08/2012 13:50:33
To: shirrmontana@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Fw: Vaccine query

That's shocking. Really hope your vet plays ball.

Hi Sharon

Help is at hand!

I can hereby guarantee absolutely that Canigen dog vaccine is exactly the same as Nobivac - just a different label. If you have any trouble in this regard please ask your consulting vet to contact us at 01359 243243.

Best regards

Chris Taylor BVSc MRCVS
Technical Director, Virbac Limited
Tel: 01359 243 243
Fax: 01359 243 200
This communication is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). Please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information contained therein is strictly prohibited unless otherwise stated. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender by e-mail or by telephone and then delete the e-mail. Virbac Limited takes steps to prevent computer viruses from being transmitted via e-mail: however you are strongly advised to undertake anti-virus checks prior to accessing any attachments.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
Hmm... Interesting reading and goes with our thinking that Odie's Addison's Disease was actually caused by his yearly booster as he fell ill less than 2 weeks after his booster.....  Of course our vets would never agree with this :-\

We too are at the mercy of annual boosters and kennels BUT when Odie's 2013 booster is due, I will need to ask our vet if it's actually safe to give him it, in light of his illness.  Will be interesting to see if we find a way around not giving him the yearly booster and using kennels.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »

isn't it just  :'(

I also read something about some of the 'modern' diseases like Parvo this morning.  The person claimed that it was a disease 'concocted' in labs which I have also read elsewhere as well in the past.  Very scary if indeed that is the case.  I wish there was the money out there to really research and take on the big drug companies but that really is wishful thinking  :-\

mind you humans can get parvo as one of our four paws volunteers has had the human version recently
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:11 AM »
 :banana:  YEAH at long last they are speaking out about what training they actually got on vaccinations, by the sound of it VERY LITTLE  >:D

'Until we get the owners to question vets nothing will change'

We, as owners need to get the message out to question the vets on this

'When my boss went out of town for two weeks, I took it upon myself to start checking titres on those dogs families who would listen - every single one came back 'protected'' - vet wouldn't listen so this vet handed in her notice

Just goes to show that our pets are better off being titre tested

Helen that is fantastic - thanks so much for sharing - I will be sharing this article with as many animal owners who are willing to listen / read  ;)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
These vets are onto a good thing me thinks and have had it their own way in this matter far too long. I usually  have Smudge vaccinated every 15 months - as one year when I could not get it done at the time it was due, I phoned the receptionist who told me 'oh don't worry, long as they have had one booster (after the initial puppy course) they were ok to go for 3 months after the yearly date. ....and so that is what I do.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.