Author Topic: Which food?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Rolo12

Which food?
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
After Rolo was diagnosed with Colitis by the vet he has been on Hills prescription ID but it is costing around £30 for just over 2 weeks worth and although its helped, his poos still havent firmed up completely!

I'm thinking of trying him on something else but not sure what to try? We have already tried Fish4puppies and James Well beloved. Any ideas? We havent tried him on wet food yet but I've never been a fan of the smell!

Caz :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Which food?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
My friend's Golden Retriever, Ruby, had bouts of colitis for years. She tried several different kibbles including Hills prescription ID, JWB and Arden Grange without much success before settling on Burns, which did the trick. Since then she's changed to a raw diet and that's working extremely well too. No colitis and perfect poos :005:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
I have heard of Burns being used instead of Hills too- Brodie was on it at one point and did well.

She is now fed wet food and got to say, I don't really notice a smell from it :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
have you thought about a raw diet...... in my experience it dose help with a lot
of issues

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »
I've read that raw can definitely help with colitis. I've not experienced this with any of my boys but it was a common positive when I was researching raw  :D

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline redmond

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »
My friend's Golden Retriever, Ruby, had bouts of colitis for years. She tried several different kibbles including Hills prescription ID, JWB and Arden Grange without much success before settling on Burns, which did the trick. Since then she's changed to a raw diet and that's working extremely well too. No colitis and perfect poos :005:

have to agree here, our first cocker had similar issue we tried all sorts of food, after doing some research here we switched to a raw diet and haven't had an issue since... Nearly two years
CJ & Bailey

Offline Rolo12

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
I would consider trying a raw diet but its difficult to convince my partner as he is worried about the cost. Do you purchase the food ready packed and roughly how much does it cost?
Thanks
Caz :)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
It is cheaper if you do it yourself, it doesn't have to be more expensive  :blink: make friends with your local butcher and i'd imagine you could get a lot of stuff for pence if not completely free.

I use Natural Instinct for convenience and ease when we first switched but I am starting to do more and more of it myself. Ready packaged stuff is of course more expensive.

Many people on here are far more experienced with raw than I am, and i'm sure Pudding in particular can offer you some excellent advice (she is very good at explaining it all - much better than me!  :005: )
We had lots of toilet problems when Bingley was small, not a single issue since we switched to raw. I am so happy with it, and it is the best decision we've made. From the sounds of it a raw diet has helped with colitis, anecdotely at least, so if you do decide to give it a go i really hope it helps you too x

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
Hi

If your friend changed to Burns and it did the trick was there a particular reason for going onto raw?
Secondly, how old was your dog when you started using raw food?

Not meaning to be rude it's just that I'm looking into raw food for my pup and gathering information at the moment.

Thanks, Mel.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »
It a difficult question..... you can get thing free from your butcher  or farm shop Morrison do bones for 50p a pack of stock bones, and you can buy meat that is in the just about in date section i get chicken carcasses 3 for £1.00 or you can buy from [url]http://www.naturalinstinct.com/][http://honeysrealdogfood.com//url] [url]http://www.naturalinstinct.com/ http://www.raw2paw.co.uk/ http://prizechoice.co.uk/ http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/ can you put a price on a healthy dog ????

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
Hi If your friend changed to Burns and it did the trick was there a particular reason for going onto raw? Secondly, how old was your dog when you started using raw food? Not meaning to be rude it's just that I'm looking into raw food for my pup and gathering information at the moment. Thanks, Mel.

you can raw feed as soon as a puppy is on solid food

Offline Chezer

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »
My Archie who's 3 suffers from Colitis very badly  we nearly lost him once and went through a terrible time and just about every food flares it up for him except Royal Canin Sensible kibble.  It really has been a gift because he hasn't had a bout of colitis in over a year.
Archie 4/9/2009

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
there is a 1 Day Raw Feeding Seminar with Nick Thompson from Holisticvet
Its going to be on Saturday 20th October 2012 at Cobtree Manor Golf Club, Maidstone, Kent - 9.00a.m. to 4.30p.m
The tickets are £51.90p to inc tea/coffee on arrival, tea/coffee and biscuits mid morning, buffet lunch and then tea/coffee mid afternoon
If you would like to purchase a ticket or would like more info, please PM me and I will send you the link

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
Another raw supplier here:
http://rawtogo.co.uk/ProductsandPrices.aspx.htm

Seems quite reasonable and they do a sample pack which might help start you off.
Just want to add that I can't comment on quality etc as I don't feed raw myself - I found them when I was considering it though.  ;)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
This is helpful - it has given me a couple of ideas to be going along with if Ozzy's colitis doesn't clear up, or comes back.  He's on Hills Prescription i/d from the vets for the moment, but I don't want him to stay on it.