Author Topic: Rosies got a cough!  (Read 926 times)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Rosies got a cough!
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Yesterday afternoon Rosie started to cough and at first I thought that maybe she had eaten something in the garden and it was stuck in her throat. However, as the evening progressed she continued to cough and was bringing up a frothy kind of saliva. This continued throughout the night so neither of us got much sleep! I phoned the vet this morning and they said that it sounded like kennel cough, and even though she has had the vaccination not all strains of the virus are covered!! She seems all right in herself just a bit tired, so hopefully she should be ok, but I dont like my baby being ill. :'(
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline karendorman13

Re: Rosies got a cough!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
Poor Rosie sending  :bigarmhug: I am not to sure but I think you can give her baby benilyn to try and sooth the cough, but I am sure someone more experianced will be more benefitial.

Offline Linda B

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
Hope poor Rosie is soon feeling better  :bigarmhug:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
Give her a teaspoon of Manuka Honey ( expensive but worth it) it will ease her cough, hope she is feeling better soon.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
Honey is good at soothing a cough but if you cannot get that childrens benalyn(non drowsy) or Tixylix cough syrup works a treat.
Hope Rosie feels better soon

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »
As others have said honey is very good.  Hope Rosie gets over this cough soon,  hugs from Megan

Gwyneth Colin and Meganxxxx
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
thanks for the tips and the well wishes, will get some honey tomorrow...xxx
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline starbybarby

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »
Star (about 9 yrs) has had an occasional cough over the last year or so, mostly when she gets up in the morning. No phlegm or anything, and sounds more like she's clearing her throat. Noisy breathing, too, when she's sleeping. Been checked, obviously; lungs clear, maybe a slight abnormal heart murmur. Vet suggested Baby Benylin or Tixylix. We've been giving her the latter, and it seemed to be doing the trick.

Until last week, when it got very much worse; more frequent, going on for longer and so on; scarey to listen to! So I took her to a different vet, and he thought it was bronchitis. The only treatment, apparently, is steroids, which would put weight on her, (?) but he said inhaling steam is a good way to clear the tubes. Yeah, right! I could just see her sitting over a bowl of steaming water with  a towel over her head!!!

We can't seem to find Baby Benylin, so we tried Boots own brand dry cough mixture...BUT NOW, I BELIEVE WE'VE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH!!
Someone suggested an inhalant; Olbas Oil, so I bought a bottle. Only £3:80. Now: THIS WAS ONLY LAST WEDNESDAY.
Not sure how to administer it, I tried dripping a drop or two into her nostrils that afternoon, and the next morning her cough was nowhere near as bad. Since then I've been giving it to her morning and evening, but now I sprinkle enough onto a folded tissue to make it damp, and I hold it in front of her nose so she has to breathe in the vapour; only for about half a minute or so, and I'm delighted to say that she has improved miraculously. This morning, Sunday, only 4 days later, she hasn't coughed at all. Absolutely brilliant!

I really hope this helps.
PS: I've also ordered an atomizer from Ama*on, as I thought a fine spray for her to breathe in might be effective, but that hasn't come yet. But the tissue method seems to be highly effective.

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
Star (about 9 yrs) has had an occasional cough over the last year or so, mostly when she gets up in the morning. No phlegm or anything, and sounds more like she's clearing her throat. Noisy breathing, too, when she's sleeping. Been checked, obviously; lungs clear, maybe a slight abnormal heart murmur. Vet suggested Baby Benylin or Tixylix. We've been giving her the latter, and it seemed to be doing the trick.

Until last week, when it got very much worse; more frequent, going on for longer and so on; scarey to listen to! So I took her to a different vet, and he thought it was bronchitis. The only treatment, apparently, is steroids, which would put weight on her, (?) but he said inhaling steam is a good way to clear the tubes. Yeah, right! I could just see her sitting over a bowl of steaming water with  a towel over her head!!!

We can't seem to find Baby Benylin, so we tried Boots own brand dry cough mixture...BUT NOW, I BELIEVE WE'VE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH!!
Someone suggested an inhalant; Olbas Oil, so I bought a bottle. Only £3:80. Now: THIS WAS ONLY LAST WEDNESDAY.
Not sure how to administer it, I tried dripping a drop or two into her nostrils that afternoon, and the next morning her cough was nowhere near as bad. Since then I've been giving it to her morning and evening, but now I sprinkle enough onto a folded tissue to make it damp, and I hold it in front of her nose so she has to breathe in the vapour; only for about half a minute or so, and I'm delighted to say that she has improved miraculously. This morning, Sunday, only 4 days later, she hasn't coughed at all. Absolutely brilliant!

I really hope this helps.
PS: I've also ordered an atomizer from Ama*on, as I thought a fine spray for her to breathe in might be effective, but that hasn't come yet. But the tissue method seems to be highly effective.

Olbas oil is very good for clearing airways...I used it with my daughter sprinkled on a tissue and tied to her bed post overnight...glad you have found something that works for you

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
Thanks for that, will get some tomorrow.Have been very busy today looking after my great neices aged 5 and 9 and great nephew aged 6, and I have got to say Rosie was a star with them. We dont have many young children around very often but her sweet nature just shone through. Then she went and spoilt it by pooing in my daughters bedroom and then ate some of it!! To make  matters worse she was then sick in the hall.....not the best smell. Oh well I still love her. x

Offline starbybarby

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:06 AM »
That's Spaniels for you! :lol2: Star still enjoys a nice bit of poo when she can.
I do hope the Olbas works for Rosie; it's been like a miracle cure for Star. 

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 07:34:32 AM »
Rosies cough is much better, although not completly gone. Thanks for the tips xxxx

Offline starbybarby

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »
Good news. Are you using the Olbas, the honey, both, or something else?
After using the Olbas, Star didn't cough at all for a week. Then yesterday she was a bit throaty so I gave her a sniff, and she's been okay since; including this morning, and the morning is when she's more inclined to cough if she's going to.
Love it.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »
I used childrens Benelyn, honey and olbas oil. Wanted to cover all bases!! Today she is so much better. Hope star is feeling better...xx

Offline starbybarby

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »
Yep, she's fine thanks.
So glad it's working for Rosie.