Author Topic: Cockers are difficult ?????  (Read 3609 times)

Offline beanbag

Re: Cockers are difficult ?????
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
No problems with coming up for the odd cuddle but actually sleeping with us in bed during the night - just cant have that happening  :005:

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »
After our first dog, we had a rule that the dogs sleep in their own beds, in the conservatory. They love it with the radio on

Offline secretagentmole

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »
I actually woke up wearing Bertie like a wig, I know I am going bald disgracefully (pass the Mr Sheene so that I can dazzle passing RAF planes), but I am not wearing Bertie as a toupe (though it would be less obvious than some of Paul Daniels wigs)!

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 11:33:59 PM »
I've been around cockers my whole life. Archie is my third and the 6th in my immediate family. I agree with everything that has been said about how wonderful they are. My previous two fitted all the descriptions that have been given, but Archie? There is no other word for it. He IS difficult. VERY difficult. He has turned my life upside down and not always in a good way. It's been a shock to the system. Do I adore him? Absolutely. Would I be without him? Absolutely not. Would I change his behaviour if I could. Definately. I'm trying on a daily basis to teach him what is and isnt acceptable. We will get there but it is hard, hard work and sometimes it gets me down. If he was the first cocker that someone came across then they would probably run a mile from owning one. I guess what I'm saying is that you cant describe all cockers the same way.There is good and bad in them just as there is probably good and bad in all breeds.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
I've been around cockers my whole life. Archie is my third and the 6th in my immediate family. I agree with everything that has been said about how wonderful they are. My previous two fitted all the descriptions that have been given, but Archie? There is no other word for it. He IS difficult. VERY difficult. He has turned my life upside down and not always in a good way. It's been a shock to the system. Do I adore him? Absolutely. Would I be without him? Absolutely not. Would I change his behaviour if I could. Definately. I'm trying on a daily basis to teach him what is and isnt acceptable. We will get there but it is hard, hard work and sometimes it gets me down. If he was the first cocker that someone came across then they would probably run a mile from owning one. I guess what I'm saying is that you cant describe all cockers the same way.There is good and bad in them just as there is probably good and bad in all breeds.

Like, and agree wholeheartedly!!

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »
Maybe all dogs can be difficult in their own ways.  Jessie (my blue roan) never tried to get at the food compost bin (easy for her to open) and she knew what was in there - but after an op for pyometra she began barking several times a night.  After a year of trying everything - sub milk tabs from vet, going down to her to comfort, going down to tell her off, not going down at all - it was no better and I was exhausted.  Eventually much against my will I started to take her up to my bedroom and she slept on her bed on the floor - still woke 4 times a night barking but it was easier to calm her - she just seemed frightened.  After a few months she began to sleep through and life was easier for us all.

It was much against my principles to have the dog in the bedroom but I needed the sleep and in the end I only had to stand up after 9 in the evening for her to be at the bottom of the stairs trying to persuade me to go to bed! 

I think it is one reason I miss her so much since her recent death - we were together for nearly 24 hours a day and I am glad I gave her the comfort she needed.  But I should add that she was quite happy to go to the local kennels so was still adaptable and happy to stay with others, just liked to be with me when at home.  (Unless my son was home when she would switch allegiance!)

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
Or they'll decide they need to keep digging HIS bed during the night, then jump up for smootchies and cuddles...
This is the reason our puppy wont be sleeping in our room, we have a low bed and she would jump up  :005:

I really don't see your problem...He did leave just less than half for me (even when I scooted him over)...

:005: :005: :005: I dont see the problem either, Charlie has left you more than enough room  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »
I was not sure whether to confess to this but I did find the long coat difficult - it matted under the front legs and was so hard to untangle and it hurt Jessie.  She also picked up ticks really easily as they just latched on to the hair and then crawled up on to her (16 at one time!)  I did use the spot on lotions but they didn't get rid of them all - we had to use the tick remover.

The answer for me was a 12 weekly trip to the groomers for a fairly short cut - just on the underside at first.  It made life much easier for the dog and for me - and surely if someone else was finding it so hard they think of giving up the dog then this is a reasonable solution.  I am thinking of those who think you can only fully brush and strip the coat but if the dog is purely a pet and you really can't manage the coat then a short haircut might be the answer. 

I hope I won't be expelled for this but I do come across other owners who have the whole coat clipped - is it very unusual?

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
I was not sure whether to confess to this but I did find the long coat difficult - it matted under the front legs and was so hard to untangle and it hurt Jessie.  She also picked up ticks really easily as they just latched on to the hair and then crawled up on to her (16 at one time!)  I did use the spot on lotions but they didn't get rid of them all - we had to use the tick remover.

The answer for me was a 12 weekly trip to the groomers for a fairly short cut - just on the underside at first.  It made life much easier for the dog and for me - and surely if someone else was finding it so hard they think of giving up the dog then this is a reasonable solution.  I am thinking of those who think you can only fully brush and strip the coat but if the dog is purely a pet and you really can't manage the coat then a short haircut might be the answer. 

I hope I won't be expelled for this but I do come across other owners who have the whole coat clipped - is it very unusual?

I personally think the coat style is entirely up to the owners, if your dog is a mud magnet and loves mud and water then it'll be much harder to look after a longer coat than a dog who hops over the puddles (as Charlie does). Some dogs get too warm so will need to be clipped entirely.  It's personal preference.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jenna

• Bailey Boy!
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »

Bailey is clippered once every 6 weeks. It's way too hot here for him to have the long coat (today is quite cool at 21degrees celsius). Besides... after being fixed, his coat became thick and curly (not the nice curly either) He is much happier and livelier once he's been to the groomers. We just don't clipper him during winter and by Spring he looks like a fat cocker teddy bear.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »

I think Archie must e related to selby ;) but I wouldn't swap him for the world.  He was my first cocker and I have had dogs all my life which is a long one and selby really has been the hardest, but would not part with him for the world.

Offline praia

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2012, 01:46:49 AM »

Not unusual and perfectly acceptable.  It's your dog and your choice. 

Personally, I don't like the look of completely clipped Cockers, which is why my two are kept in full coat year round even though summer temps easily reach over 30 degrees and even though they roam through thick woods and swim in brackish and muddy water every day.  Choosing appropriate times of day (or night) and choosing appropriate activities solves the heat problem, and I also have the time and the tools to groom them every day to prevent mats and to keep them looking nice.

It's understandable that some people just find it easier to completely clip a dog.  As long as the dog is happy and healthy, it really shouldn't matter how the owner decides to have it groomed.  I'd rather see a cocker shorn practically naked than see a cocker suffering from terrible and painful mats.