Author Topic: What chews/toys do you recommend??  (Read 4133 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: What chews/toys do you recommend??
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 05:27:48 AM »

Humphrey gets a bit possessive with balls so I only let him have them occasionally. I‘ve found the Chuckit balls good, they‘re very durable and are better for their teeth, The covering of tennis balls is very abrasive and if chewed a lot can damage the teeth. Chuckits also float which can be useful for games in the water (or not, as the case may be  :shades: we‘ve lost a couple downstream!  :lol2:) They‘re a bit pricier but worth it in the long run I reckon.

Ooo I wonder if those are the one Ash has found  :005: she has found 4 balls when we have been out on walks, she just carries them home  ph34r

Offline Katrina

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 10:35:58 AM »
There's some great ideas here!

We have some king tennis balls which haven't been destroyed... yet! Oscar's christmas list is growing  :lol2:

Offline Katrina

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 07:11:29 PM »
Just resurrecting this thread... 

We've added yak chews to our repertoire and try different kong stuffing. He still hasn't figured out a way of getting at the food in there other than a slow lick.

This week his back teeth are really bothering him and he's started to rip apart his soft toys after chewing them with his molars. The toys we have seem to have fallen apart in minutes... we have one kong bear that has list both his ears, but is otherwise doing ok. Six other toys have been binned in the last couple of days.

Any ideas for tougher "teddy" toys?

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 07:35:47 PM »
I also have yak chews for my teething 5 month old.  I purchased the ones for medium dogs and they lasted about a week.  Next time, I purchased the bigger one (for big dogs) as I thought it would be the same only bigger but it is much harder and she really gnaws it with her back teeth.  It has lasted over 2 weeks so far and she’s not even half way through it yet.  She gnaws it every day and it does seem to help and it does tire her out. 
Sorry I don’t have any teddy recommendations but Maisie loves her rope tugger as another gnaw toy.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Katrina

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 08:45:08 PM »
Thanks vixen! Yaks last us about a week too so I'll get a large one next time. Good tip!

He's not a huge fan of rope toys... even when I've frozen them for a bit of a change.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 10:08:51 PM »
Forgot to say that the brand of Yak I buy is Everest (from eBay). I prefer this brand as it lasts much longer than the other brands I have bought  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 09:20:27 AM »
We get the Everest ones too and they're great!

When Ivy's front and back teeth were coming in she destroyed every toy in her path (even ones claiming to be 'tough'), with the exception of this strange tugger toy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petface-Seriously-Strong-Figure-Rope/dp/B076WWXXPX?th=1

She's not interested in the rope part, just the middle bit! Loves chewing it and she hasn't been able to chew it apart...yet.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2022, 02:13:23 PM »
Yakers, mediums are good for Salty
https://yakers.co.uk/
lasted much longer than all the others I tried, Salty loves them - especially when he gets the last bit microwaved all puffed up like that old-skool honeycomb sweet

Trixie Dog Activity Snack Ball, 9 cm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Activity-Snack-Various-Colours/dp/B00121VRY4
I just get a bag of posh expensive smelly kibble and use it as treats in this ball
keeps him off my back for a while and he loves it!

Kong Doggy ice cream in summer with frozen peanut butter (NB with no artificial sweeteners in it)