Author Topic: What to expect from a working breeder  (Read 1308 times)

Offline karen488

What to expect from a working breeder
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
I am starting to look into a working pup. I went to visit a breeder today who I really liked. It seems a very diff world to show breeders though, so I'm just wondering what are the signs of good/ bad practice to look for. The dogs seemed well trained and cared for. Everything looked responsible. I was shown potential sires and dams and everything seemed good, the dogs were  :luv:. The only aspect I was surprised about was the number of dogs, around 40. They have around 20 litters a year but they only have 2 litters a bitch and then sell them on as trained dogs. Is this typical of working kennels?

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: What to expect from a working breeder
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »
The Kennel Club doesn't allow bitches to breed more than once a year, if they're on the Assured Breeder Scheme - presumably because this is better for the dog's health. This would certainly be a point to question in show types, so I assume it is in workers too. I don't know much about working dogs, so perhaps that is normal, but it does sound like a bit of a puppy farm to me, albeit a well-run one. Maybe this is normal in the working world - hopefully one of the working owners can step in.

One other thing to bear in mind is that dogs with FTCH (field trial champions) in the pedigrees are likely to be far more serious workers and therefore not make suitable pets than dogs without, as these traits have been bred into those dogs - it sounds as if they are as different as show types and workers. I'd check the pedigrees carefully to see if the dogs are suitable for your use (ie. working dog vs. pet). It might be worth having a read of this thread, and the linked article:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=98639.0

Offline karen488

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
The Kennel Club doesn't allow bitches to breed more than once a year, if they're on the Assured Breeder Scheme - presumably because this is better for the dog's health. This would certainly be a point to question in show types, so I assume it is in workers too. I don't know much about working dogs, so perhaps that is normal, but it does sound like a bit of a puppy farm to me, albeit a well-run one. Maybe this is normal in the working world - hopefully one of the working owners can step in.

One other thing to bear in mind is that dogs with FTCH (field trial champions) in the pedigrees are likely to be far more serious workers and therefore not make suitable pets than dogs without, as these traits have been bred into those dogs - it sounds as if they are as different as show types and workers. I'd check the pedigrees carefully to see if the dogs are suitable for your use (ie. working dog vs. pet). It might be worth having a read of this thread, and the linked article:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=98639.0

Thanks. I didn't mean 2 litters in a year I meant 2 litters in total. They do seem to be proper gundog trainers and follow up with lessons if required. I do want to find a dog that I can work not just a pet. They seem to have a fair number of FTCH's in their pedigree. I wouldn't say they were a puppy farm but as I said was surprised by the scale? I will def. look elsewhere before deciding.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »
Is this typical of working kennels?

I'm sure it's the same as in any other kind of breeder - there will be some who breed as a business (as this kennel obviously does) and there will be smaller hobby breeders who only have a few dogs and maybe one or two litters a year. You have to be prepared for lots of research and then decide what kind of breeder you are happier to buy from & which you feel will support you after you get a puppy.
Jane

Offline Biddy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »
Hi,

I found this website really helpful in my search for Jake.

http://www.workingcockerhealthscreendirectory.com/

They are all breeders who care about the health of the breed and screening and testing for genetic and other health disorders.

Good luck in your search.

Offline karen488

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
Thanks Biddy. That's a really useful site. Have found a couple more breeders to chat to. Typically nowhere near me!