Author Topic: Bailey The Rescued Cocker  (Read 14261 times)

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Bailey The Rescued Cocker
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »
Bailey, you little superstar  :luv:  I think he is doing great, and I agree, you will need to adapt the training slightly.  Missy will be a huge help, as he will always have had dog companions and people will not have been kind.  It takes time to trust and he will possibly never lose that fear completely.  But he is happy and loved and obviously contented.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 02:06:46 AM »
We had a clown 🤡 letting of fireworks near hear on Sunday and Bailey wasn’t impressed, Having had dogs when I lived at home who absolutely hated fireworks I feared the worst.

I managed to book the day off work at short notice with the plan of exhausting him with the hope that he may just curl up and sleep.........not very hopeful but hey let’s try.

As planned I took Missy and Bailey for a lovely walk along the Canal at lunch time,  It’s  Bailey’s favourite spot presumably because it’s quite enclosed, he can see a hedge or similar at one side and water at the other so no danger. The pair of them were on form and loving its a great double act, I just so wish Missy was younger and could keep up with him. She’s got her limitations these days so back home we went.

However after a quick brew I got my little mate in the car headed off to the river. He’s not a car fan yet nor am I having a dirty car but we’re both learning 👍 He absolutely shone, it was like Missy was with us but yet she wasn’t. I guess he was still a I'm happy mindset. It just goes to show he doesn’t need To br her around, I think this might be something to tap into going forward.

We covered a lot of miles today and that’s by far the happiest he’s been on a walk while on his own.  He actually acted like a normal dog, running about, wagging tail brilliant so see.

We got home just at dusk as planned with the hope of a nice meal would send him asleep. He’s not moved much more than a raised ear all night.

I did have another plan in place which I will speak of tomorrow.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »
Brilliant, he is definitely getting more confident.  That was a worthwhile experiment.  Pleased to hear that he is doing so well.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 01:49:09 AM »
Another quick update - Hopefully the firework 🤡 have passed now. Thankfully it’s gone well this year, however we do have an organised event over the road normally. Hopefully this won’t change.

Training

I seemed to have cracked the sit almost. He’s made great progress, in the short time from managing to get him to do it for the first time ( by Christ that was the hard part ) Bailey boy has come on fantastically. After putting so much effort into something you believe in, something you’re doing for the better. It’s really is so rewarding, When you get that look off him you know..........

However recall is the one I want to crack, it’s been my main goal. My end game is obviously so he can be off lead so he can enjoy himself. On his own he will come back to me at the moment but not in a positive way. He just doesn’t trust me fully yet. With Missy he’s much more willing and what I want.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 01:45:34 AM »
Well the little fella is progressing still although i class him as a traitor  :005: I spend all day every day with him, do everything for him but its apparent his love for my Mrs grows, Yes i'm jealous  :005: I think whatever has happened in the past with him hes not had a good experience with males. For eg if were out on a walk he will let a lady stroke him but wont a male. Having said that his trusting of me is definitely improving, i don't suppose it helps when i give him a bath or other things hes not keen on.

Training, he's very clever i suppose all spaniels are. Its very different with him than dogs I've trained before. Its a challenge,  a bloody long one but really rewarding.

As his trust in me increases the positivity of his recall does also. Its pretty good when Missy is with us ( when she can hear me ) Not a chance id let him off lead for a long time though.

Sit he's had nailed for a few weeks now and tonight after a weeks of trying he's managed a down for the first time then another twice tonight.  :luv: im sure he will improve on that very quick now.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 07:08:35 AM »
 :luv: :luv:
Sounds like Bailey‘s really doing well, I think cockers are clever  little dogs, Humphrey picks things up very quickly, as long as its to his advantage  :005: but he can be soooo frustratingly stubborn!
I strongly suspect Mrs. Shrew is the one who hangs out in the kitchen,  :shades: and you’re not on your own, Humph‘s best pal of the moment is whoever‘s currently opening fridges and larders, the maidservant who runs behind him collecting his poo and washing his feet is completely invisible as soon as OH has an ice cream bowl in his hand!!  :lol2: :lol2:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 09:48:33 PM »
Awwww Bailey is mummy's boy  :luv:  So nice to hear of his progress, you have worked so hard with him and it is paying dividends.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 12:54:41 AM »
Well another update with Bailey

Progress has slowed tbh he's still very much a mummies boy  >:D

His toilet habits have slightly changed now. Before it would be very rare he would go in the garden this has recently has become more frequent.

He's definitely a lot more confident on his own now when Missy moo isn't around. What did surprise me on Xmas day we went for a walk with my parents and sister + dogs that also gave him confidence not that he was actually interested in them but he starts to run about which he wont when he's on his own.

Hes turning into a cuddle monster and you think yeah we've turned a corner here but the slightest thing can trigger flight mode and it sets you back a few weeks. It really is like an on / off switch

Progress is slow and the bond with my Mrs is definitely not a good thing tbh i think he might be developing separation anxiety when she isn't here. He's fine all day when she comes home from work normally, I'm here with him full time.  He has started to be all worked up this last few weeks when she's been a few hours late coming home pacing about and sitting at the front door.

Anyone be able to give advice on this please ?

Offline Shaun W

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 09:07:08 AM »
That does sound as if he is waiting for Mummy to come home, rather than separation anxiety.
Our old dog used to do the same when my son was due home from school, you couldn’t move her from the window and she would take a treat back to her guard post.

Someone told me over Christmas, that it is due to scent decay, so it’s not so much knowing the time, but recognising the scent has faded to this level, means that x will happen.

Could certainly explain why if I come downstairs early Alfie is just lying there, but at normal time he is sat up waiting for me.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 09:20:52 AM »
 :luv: Bailey is adorable, sounds like he / you are making progress

My two were the same as Bailey waiting for me to come home (apparently as I wasn't here to see it)

In what way is he worked up when Mrs is late home? Could it be he is just getting excited, does she do anything different when she comes home (i.e. does she always give them a treat etc)

Hope it's not separation anxiety and just hyper to see her  - also what's he like if you leave him?

Offline theshrew

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 01:47:41 AM »
:luv: Bailey is adorable, sounds like he / you are making progress

My two were the same as Bailey waiting for me to come home (apparently as I wasn't here to see it)

In what way is he worked up when Mrs is late home? Could it be he is just getting excited, does she do anything different when she comes home (i.e. does she always give them a treat etc)

Hope it's not separation anxiety and just hyper to see her  - also what's he like if you leave him?

Yeah he's very excited when she comes home, tbf he is a little more with the kids and i now. So is Missy when she hears the door which isn't very often these days  :005: She doesn't  do anything different to anyone else - no treats or anything.

We leave them to dry off in the kitchen if there wet after a walk  he's definitely not a fan of that but he has got a lot better now. Apart from that he doesn't really get left alone since the clocks changed. I used to leave him at lunch and go for a run / bike ride and walk him after work but as the dark came in i swapped around. Thinking about it i think ill change back at least he will be getting left for an hour each day. See if that improves things.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 01:57:48 AM »
That does sound as if he is waiting for Mummy to come home, rather than separation anxiety.
Our old dog used to do the same when my son was due home from school, you couldn’t move her from the window and she would take a treat back to her guard post.

Someone told me over Christmas, that it is due to scent decay, so it’s not so much knowing the time, but recognising the scent has faded to this level, means that x will happen.

Could certainly explain why if I come downstairs early Alfie is just lying there, but at normal time he is sat up waiting for me.

Yes that's a thing, our previous cocker was definitely affected by scent. She would steal my worn t shirts and boxers and put them in her bed or wherever she was lying.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 02:09:15 AM »
The kids got this made for us from a photo for our Christmas present. It’s no masterpiece but it really does capture their faces brilliantly. 

image hosting

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »
That is gorgeous  :luv: such a nice gift.  I think lockdown and change in routine has probably had an effect on everyone's dogs to some level or another.  Like you, we changed routine with the darker nights, but sill need to redress the balance again.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 06:36:34 PM »

We leave them to dry off in the kitchen if there wet after a walk  he's definitely not a fan of that but he has got a lot better now. Apart from that he doesn't really get left alone since the clocks changed. I used to leave him at lunch and go for a run / bike ride and walk him after work but as the dark came in i swapped around. Thinking about it i think ill change back at least he will be getting left for an hour each day. See if that improves things.

That might be a good idea to leave him and go out for a run etc - hope it helps  :D

This is going to be the hard bit for me as I am now working from home and no sign of returning to the office full time. I used to leave the house around 7.30am and get back about 6pm Mon - Fri so it's all change for me ;) (not that I have a dog at the moment - but mum to be is growing apparently, I am trying not to contact the breeder but it's very difficult  :shades: )
Ooo and before anyone says that is a long time to leave a dog let alone a pup OH was / is at home bar 45min in the morning and @45 min in the afternoon  ;)

What a lovely gift to receive - hope that picture has pride of place :)