Author Topic: Long time ago!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
Long time ago!
« on: May 20, 2021, 11:06:11 AM »
I just did a search on the forum for paw chewing as Sam is currently having an issue with his back paw and on reading the replies came across a comment from me about Fern!  13 years ago!!

I'm no expert, but when Jasper went through a phase of chewing paws, I was advised that it can be a form of transfering pain relief to an area they can get to IYSWIM, Jasper was having some anal gland issues at the time, when that was sorted, the paw chewing stopped. He couldn't chew his glands, so chewed his feet instead.

I'd get a general check up at the vets and not concentrate soley on the paws.

This is exactly what our vet said when I took Fern in for the same thing!
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Long time ago!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 02:54:15 PM »
😂 I‘ve done that, - realized I‘ve asked the same question twice!,  :005:
But back to paws - I remember my old GSD limping on his front left paw, we suspected a thorn or something but couldn‘t find anything so went to the vet. He immediately clocked on and found the offending  thorn stuck in the pad of the rear right paw!  :shades: He told us it was quite common that the problem was infact in the opposite foot! ..

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 04:41:00 PM »
When Wilf was limping on his front right paw I took him to vets and he examined him and took his temperature too. Temperature was higher than it should be but as vet had no clue why he gave him pain meds and antibiotics to see how it went.

Next day we discovered Wilf had a really bad ear infection but the pain led him to limp on that side where infection was in his ear.

Molly used to lick her front paw due to problem in her wrist.

So infection or pain elsewhere might not be immediately obvious
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 12:16:26 PM »
Thanks guys, the vet examined him and there was a spot between two pads that she could see was sore and weeping so he's on antibiotics and anti inflammatories and a cone of shame, and goes back Thursday for a check up.  It has been a week since he first started chewing it (he went to vet on the thurs) and he is still chewing it when I take the cone off - but not always, once he starts he can't stop.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x