Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

New and a bit overwhelmed!

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ben's mum:
Hi Katrina
One thing I will say is after the hard work cockers are just the most gorgeous dogs ever 💕 you just have to keep that in mind 🤣
I had a thought about another easy brain game we do and your children could do with Oscar.
If the weather is decent you can throw the handful of one meal on the grass and let him ‘find it’ he has to use his nose and snuffle round to find all the food. It also slows down eating, I don’t know about Oscar but George practically inhales food.
I do the same thing indoors but it depends how houseproud you are as the food goes everywhere! I also use the ‘find it’ command while George is looking and he now knows that means to look for food. Sometimes in the evenings if he is really boisterous I will hide food in harder places like under cushions on the floor and in quite tricky places so he has to work a bit harder, he gets so excited and it keeps him happy and busy for a while xx

Katrina:
Yes he inhales food!  :005: they sound so similar! I did get a bowl that drops the food into swirl shapes but he doesn't seem to be able to get the food out yet- maybe he's too small??  I can absolutely just chuck it in the garden though... easy solution! And I am houseproud... but he loves food so much that I have no doubt he'll find and eat it all. A quick hoover and who's to know the floor has been for mealtime?!

I need a list of commands stuck up on a door or wall somewhere though...

Sit
Find it
Down
Paw
Touch

The shiop near us had no clickers left so I've ordered one and it's coming later in the week.

We've just had a another wild evening of leaping, snapping and being all round over excited. He just wants to play... but seems out of control. Hopefully the clicker training will help...

MIN:
What your children can do, and will be fun for all in the house. Get a hanki or similar and rub it in your /their hands. Get pup to sit and someone go and hide cloth in another room. Hold your hand under pups nose for a sniff then send him to find and bring back. We still do this with our 10 years old red girl. She will find hidden toys just by us naming them

Katrina:
Thanks min! The kids really would love this! He's rubbish at bringing us things though!  :lol2:  I think we'll need to teach a retrieve... he picks things up and just runs away with them!

cazza:

--- Quote from: Katrina on September 15, 2021, 07:49:37 PM ---Thanks min! The kids really would love this! He's rubbish at bringing us things though!  :lol2:  I think we'll need to teach a retrieve... he picks things up and just runs away with them!

--- End quote ---

So he runs away with an item, the worst thing you can do is chase him - go round the house and toddler proof it like you did when your children were starting to crawl. That way he shouldn’t be able to get anything of value to you or dangerous for him to have.
Start teaching recall and give him cheese as a reward (as you say that’s his favourite- Ash’s is hot dog sausages  ;) ) and also teach ‘give’ and swap the item

Hi and welcome, you’ve been given great tips so far - recently been back to that stage myself and it does sometimes make you wonder if you have done the right thing bringing in a pup  :shades:

Ash is nearly 8months now and thankfully those mad cockerdile moments are very few but there is still the odd time - a lot of time with Ash it’s because she is over tired

I make Ash work for her food too, we have a treat ball and a flying saucer (both from pet at home)

Wishing you and your family all the enjoyment a cocker brings and look forward to see how you are getting on  :D

Bensmum - madam hates the brush I can touch her all over but as soon as she sees the brush the  >:D comes out - going to try the clicker on her with that, didn’t think of that so thanks (was treating her but not using the clicker)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version