Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Off-lead walking

<< < (3/6) > >>

bizzylizzy:

--- Quote from: cazza on December 12, 2021, 01:26:36 PM ---Well I have done everything wrong then  :005: Ash has been off lead as soon as she could go out on walks  :shades:

Yes at that age they stick close to you, then they get more adventurous, but I trained her on every walk (and still do) and last week even recalled her off 2 deer

Ash is very rarely out of my sight when out on a walk - I hope I have not tempted fate now  :shades:

if you are using a long line or a flexible lead that you should use it on a harness and not on their collars

--- End quote ---

I was advised by a gun dog trainer to start immediately off lead - i.e. ca. 10 weeks ( sorry about repeating, I have written this before) . We were supposed to go somewhere different everyday and I had to just walk, keep changing direction and completely ignore him (Humphrey, not the trainer! :005:). We were looking at videos last week that OH took, so funny to see the little ball of fur sticking to me like glue obviously anxious he‘d get lost if he didn‘t keep up, which was ofcourse the object of the exercise! He‘s 6 now and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that we‘ve never lost him, - his recall needed working on obviously but even while cocking a deaf ear, he‘s always remained within sight.
Didn‘t get on with the trainer long term and we changed quite early on but I took  that tip with me and still think its the best bit of dog related advice I ever had!

sophie.ivy:
That's reassuring to hear!

Ash, Humphrey, Eze and your puppy Pam all sound like very good spaniels (Ash recalling from 2 deer is wonderful - must have been a proud moment :luv:)

It's quite tricky knowing what to do for the best sometimes, we asked our puppy trainer about it and she didn't agree with the gundog trainer and told us to keep on with the off-lead walking and training...! I think we're going to keep her off-lead on daily walks and use a long line in farmers fields and other areas we'll be asking her to work in one day just in case of any accidents or attempts to chase. We do practice recall on every walk and use a whistle for distracting situations (which we've been blowing in her special recall sequence before putting her food bowl down at home) and that's working well so far. Cocktail sausages help too!

She was off lead this weekend and had her first swim with a pack of 5 other dogs. Half of the pack were running quite far and the other half were sticking close, and I was happy to see her in the close group. I appreciate this may change as she gets older and starts testing her boundaries and getting more adventurous, but we felt really pleased with her.

Not related to off lead walking at all but the lady I was walking with told me about a doggy swimming pool in Uxbridge called Dipping Dogs where you can swim with your dog! Going to take Ivy over the holidays and wanted to pass it on if anyone lives that way :D

bizzylizzy:
Sounds to me as if you‘re doing fine! It obviously depends very much on where you live and how much freedom you can safely provide but generally speaking, I think they need to learn for themselves that staying close is a good idea rather than having it imposed on them!
Humphrey‘s been on lead for three months now because of a back injury and I‘m still waiting for the go ahead from the physiotherapist before I can let him off, - We shall see how he reacts when he finally gets his freedom back, I hope I won‘t be eating my words!!  :shades: :005:

sophie.ivy:
Thanks Bizzylizzy :D

I do have a tendency to overthink these things sometimes and as she's happy off lead at the moment and recalling nicely then I'm going to trust her until I have a reason not to! I took some chicken out with me this morning as she's had a bit of a dodgy tummy and she stuck to me like glue :005:

I hope Humphery's back is healing nicely and he enjoys his freedom (but not too much!) when he's allowed back off.

vixen:
As mentioned before, my Maisie 5 months old is recalling really well to the whistle and interacting well with other dogs/people.  I try to get her to come to me before greeting other dogs/people and I then sort of give her permission to say hello..  I am planning on using the flexilead again when she comes into season which will coincide with her going through the ‘teenage’ phase.  I think we will both hate it but it may just further her bond with me ❤️. ( or rather her bond with my magic weapon, pilchard cake  :005: :005:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version