Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Off-lead walking

<< < (6/6)

Katrina:
 :lol2: :lol2: thanks for sharing the yoga incident  :lol2:

His friend is a wire haired dachshund and totally gorgeous. I can see the appeal! Although he barks at every passing dog... so Oscar join in as if to say "yeah... what my mate said"!  ph34r he never does this on his own! We had hoped the influence would go the other way  :005:

We have a long line too so I'm going to do the same and practice with it... I have visions of lead free walks on the beach so need to put some work in!

bizzylizzy:
 :005: :005:

Lobo do Mar:
Salty was such a nightmare as a puppy that I never let him off the lead (was too anxious about everything else to even think about it, and his obedience was negligible)
Now he's 2.75 yrs I still dont - I use an 8m extendible lead that works well enough for both of us
Since I have been using this, he comes back mostly when I call, and seems to be happiest with loads of cuddles as reward
The problem is when his nose goes down and he starts zig-zagging I know there is nothing except the scent in his world.
That's what he's bred for after all
For example, on the beach the lead means that:
1. he doesnt eat twice his body weight in dead crabs etc
2. he doesnt run up to little children and jump up at them to play, even nipping lightly (still does that)
3. I can get him back to me when I want, not when he decides to come back
4. He can run around and interact with other dogs
5. He doesnt get attacked by some of the semi-feral fisherman's 'wolfs' - its not like Blighty here
6. etc

So, I think I should have let him off before, but we were all just surviving and now he and we are very happy on an 8m lead

He can thunder around the pretty big garden after those pesky birdies that keep encroaching into his airspace after all

sophie.ivy:
Sorry Lobo do Mar, I only just saw your reply!

I think that's completely understandable not letting him off early as there's so much to think about/survive in those early months. I never bothered with teaching a reliable 'off' and let Ivy jump on whatever she pleased, which was the least of my problems at the time, and and am now having to work hard on it. I sometimes wonder if she thinks her name has changed to 'GET OFF!'

I love the name Salty by the way! Perfect for a beach dog :)

The majority of the walks with Ivy are on the long line now. I let her off to play with other dogs (if it's ok with the owner) and 'go find', but wouldn't trust her recall at all in other situations now her nose has kicked in. I don't mind it to be honest as like you said, you're not worrying about the many various ways they can get themselves into trouble. I walk a 11 year old cocker who has never been let off and he's the happiest dog I've ever met so it can't be too hard on them!

Lobo do Mar:
I also have a long webbing lead for the beach
Ironically, despite me being a keen sailor (my last dog always came out with me, and liked it) and hence the name, Salty wont even peek his nose out the door if its drizzling, let alone go diving into the sea. I have never tried him on the boat as its only a 22 footer and there is not enough room for his energy - and I  am not at all sure he would like it.
Mind you, last weekend he did actually dip his paws into the backwash on the beach, even got his tummy a  bit damp :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version