Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Off-lead walking

<< < (2/6) > >>

dave w:
no not planning on working Hugo we do a lot of walking so want to get to the stage where we can let him off and not have to worry about him coming back ,he has been really hard work and we still have a problem with him biting but hopefully when all his teeth are in he will get better.

vixen:
My little one (5 months now) is still really bad with her teeth.
Of all the dogs i have had in my life, she really is the worse for biting.
Some days I am despair but reading other owners’ comments on COL really helps me as they reassure me that things will get better.
BUT she is very good when out and about which is her salvation.
Dave w - have you read the sticky note at the top of the training section?  There is an excellent article about teaching a reliable recall.  I strongly recommend it.

cazza:
Well I have done everything wrong then  :005: Ash has been off lead as soon as she could go out on walks  :shades:

Yes at that age they stick close to you, then they get more adventurous, but I trained her on every walk (and still do) and last week even recalled her off 2 deer

Ash is very rarely out of my sight when out on a walk - I hope I have not tempted fate now  :shades:

if you are using a long line or a flexible lead that you should use it on a harness and not on their collars

pam1:

--- Quote from: cazza on December 12, 2021, 01:26:36 PM ---Well I have done everything wrong then  :005: Ash has been off lead as soon as she could go out on walks  :shades:

Yes at that age they stick close to you, then they get more adventurous, but I trained her on every walk (and still do) and last week even recalled her off 2 deer

Ash is very rarely out of my sight when out on a walk - I hope I have not tempted fate now  :shades:

I totally agree!  We have a 16 week puppy and he has been off lead from day 1 of being walked.  He never strays far from us and every walk is a training session.   His recall with a whistle is absolutely brilliant now. Obviously lots of treats and praise are given at this age but I definitely think it’s the best way to train.  Did the same with my now 12 year old and never had a problem with recall.

--- End quote ---

ips:

--- Quote from: cazza on December 12, 2021, 01:26:36 PM ---Well I have done everything wrong then  :005: Ash has been off lead as soon as she could go out on walks  :shades:

if you are using a long line or a flexible lead that you should use it on a harness and not on their collars

--- End quote ---

I did it wrong also then, eze was off lead from 6mth when we got her, hardly been on a lead since (never he'd a collar on either 🙄) and no I have no worries because she doesn't go anywhere as she seems to like us too much 🙄

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version