Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Swallowing slugs / resource guarding

(1/3) > >>

russ-g:
Hi,

I've messed up and created a resource guarding issue. I was told dogs getting hold of slugs and snails is really bad. We seem to have a lot in our garden lately and Stanley always seems to find one before me. What usually follows is me trying to corner him and remove it, because he just will not come to me no matter what kind of distractions or treats I deploy.

This has now gotten so bad that he'll swallow a slug within seconds if he sees me coming to try and remove it. Snails are not so bad because he has to crunch them up, yuck.

I'm unsure how to resolve this. He's at risk of getting lungworm if this continues. Do I just leave him to it so I don't make it worse, and treat regularly with panacur? It seems whatever I do is making it worse.

Thanks
Russ

Pepsi Hawks:
Hi Russ

We have a similar issue, we have been trying to do a sweep of the garden first thing in the morning and early evening to check and remove and snails/slugs. I have started looking into pet friendly slug pellets with idea of putting them where the puppy won't get to but slightly concerned this may cause them to be attracted to areas I can't put repellent. We have a massive issue with pup hoovering up leafs but luckily they aren't as dangerous to her.

vixen:
Have you tried different treats?  I always reserve a very high value treat (such as a Sprat or a piece of pilchard cake) for such occasions. They only get their high value treats for a recall or as a swap.   Even my 15 months old girl steals things she shouldn’t and lets me know it  :005:  Instead of trying to remove the slug/snail, you could drop the smelly treat in front of him and hopefully his sense of smell will lure him away. .  I do feel that my dogs have trained me too.  If they fancy a treat, go and get something we know we shouldn’t have and then we’ll get a really tasty treat.  :005:

russ-g:

--- Quote from: Pepsi Hawks on October 10, 2022, 03:55:31 PM ---Hi Russ

We have a similar issue, we have been trying to do a sweep of the garden first thing in the morning and early evening to check and remove and snails/slugs. I have started looking into pet friendly slug pellets with idea of putting them where the puppy won't get to but slightly concerned this may cause them to be attracted to areas I can't put repellent. We have a massive issue with pup hoovering up leafs but luckily they aren't as dangerous to her.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes leaves too! Even small stones now too which is also a worry. I can't seem to do anything right.

russ-g:

--- Quote from: vixen on October 10, 2022, 03:56:12 PM ---Have you tried different treats?  I always reserve a very high value treat (such as a Sprat or a piece of pilchard cake) for such occasions. They only get their high value treats for a recall or as a swap.   Even my 15 months old girl steals things she shouldn’t and lets me know it  :005:  Instead of trying to remove the slug/snail, you could drop the smelly treat in front of him and hopefully his sense of smell will lure him away. .  I do feel that my dogs have trained me too.  If they fancy a treat, go and get something we know we shouldn’t have and then we’ll get a really tasty treat.  :005:

--- End quote ---

I must admit I haven't because it's gotten to the point that if I even approach him he swallows it. I can try throwing a treat at him. He's pretty keen on leftover chicken this week!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version