Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Thoughts on slip lead?

(1/3) > >>

russ-g:
Hi,

I know this may be a contentious subject, but I'm interested to hear about any experience you may have had with a slip lead for your cocker?

I see lots of videos online (albeit many are American) where they seem to work very well, and for cockers they seem to be used a lot for working dogs. If this is the case I may like to try one. Also, is there a minimum age? Mine is only 16 weeks.

Thanks
Russ

Mudmagnets:
I think the most important thing to remember when using a slip lead is to make sure you put it on correctly or you may end up choking him when he pulls.

MIN:
Our Gemma, wcs, now 11 years old has only ever been on a slip lead, both when working and on daily walks Except when she went through her "I am a train" stage Bless her, now when we want her back on the lead we just hold the loop at her level and she sticks her head through.

russ-g:

--- Quote from: Mudmagnets on October 12, 2022, 09:54:10 PM ---I think the most important thing to remember when using a slip lead is to make sure you put it on correctly or you may end up choking him when he pulls.

--- End quote ---

Do you have any details on this? I've found a few videos but none really cover it.

Mudmagnets:

--- Quote from: russ-g on October 13, 2022, 08:38:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mudmagnets on October 12, 2022, 09:54:10 PM ---I think the most important thing to remember when using a slip lead is to make sure you put it on correctly or you may end up choking him when he pulls.

--- End quote ---

Do you have any details on this? I've found a few videos but none really cover it.

--- End quote ---

Most slip leads as far as I can remember can be put on two ways (right and wrong) if put on wrongly when the dog pulls it will choke himself, I found the best way to practice is put it on your own wrist I have included a link from an Amazon page which hopefully explains it clearer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fida-One-Size-Fits-All-Resistant-Reflective-Stitching/dp/B08Y1SY7WT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=305HDLHWDJI12&keywords=rope%2Bdog%2Blead&qid=1665650757&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjQ0IiwicXNhIjoiNi4

Hopefully Min, who actually uses one can explain it better than me  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version