Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Vaccinations

(1/2) > >>

niqnet:
Hi,

I thought it was standard practice for breeders to vaccinate puppies prior to them leaving for their new homes. I have been recommended multiple litters by the cocker spaniel breed club, 2 of which have not vaccinated their pups as they say new owner’s have had issues in the past being able to obtain the same brand of vaccination local to them. This niggles me but having run a few searches on here, I see this has happened on occasion.

Please vote so I can get a better idea.

Mudmagnets:
Of  my two recent dogs bought when pups, I have had two experiences, Minstrel was bought fairly local and had only his first jab from the breeder, and the subsequent ones done at my own vet.

Branston  had both his initial jabs at the breeder because a) I bought him from a non-local breeder and wanted to make sure he had injections from the same manufacturer, first one was paid by breeder and I paid for the second, one which I thought was fair enough. Branston was also coming into a household with a resident adult dog.

Some breeders, I believe don't give injections and reduce the cost of puppy to account for this (or maybe not  ;) ), and some vets have the practice of 'starting from scratch' so best to check with your chosen local vet on their procedures too.

niqnet:
Thanks for your reply.

vixen:
Both of my recent puppies  (not from same breeder) who are now 15 months and 6 months were not vaccinated.  First breeder said it was because I may not be able to get the same vaccinations from my vet and thus pup would then  need extra unnecessary jabs  and the second said his vet didn’t vaccinate until 10 weeks and I collected at 8 weeks.   I felt this very odd as my vet vaccinates at 8 weeks.  Both puppies were very healthy though.  I did have to travel a long way to get both pups so breeders not local and I have no idea what make of vaccine their vets use.
BTW, When I had my GSP about 15 years ago, he had had his first vaccination but when i took him and his vaccine card to my vet, it wasn’t recognised and he had to start all over again.
Personally it didn’t bother me that my recent pups weren’t vaccinated as I would rather that, than them being vaccinated and it not being recognised or compatible with the vaccine my vet uses. 

niqnet:
This is interesting as I always believed that unvaccinated was a red flag re the breeder. Thanks for your input.  It’s lovely to be back on COL again after a long break, such an useful forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version