Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Crate danger

(1/2) > >>

tritonx:
My new pup is now 10 weeks old and chewing everything. I keep him in a puppy pen with his crate inside for him to nap in. This morning I noticed a different sound in his chewing of toys/bully stick and went to check him. He was a chewing on one of the black lugs(?), the little thing that connects the top and bottom parts of the crate.  Just as I got there, he had it off the crate and into his mouth--a perfect size for choking him. I got the lug out of his mouth and removed the crate until I figure out what to do, but thought I'd warn other owners of puppies using crates with the same attachment system. It is a Remington brand. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/remington-pet-carrier?a=575735 Don't have Photobucket, so attached link to an image. It's the little black plastic things along the middle side of the crate.

bizzylizzy:
Glad he‘s ok!  :luv:

russ-g:
I hate to be that guy, but that's a pet carrier, not a crate. Pet carriers are not designed for pets to be in long term, just for short journeys. That may be why you've encountered this issue.

A proper crate is made mostly from metal with very little (or nothing) the dog can get a hold of when inside.

bizzylizzy:

--- Quote from: russ-g on January 23, 2023, 08:54:24 AM ---I hate to be that guy, but that's a pet carrier, not a crate. Pet carriers are not designed for pets to be in long term, just for short journeys. That may be why you've encountered this issue.

A proper crate is made mostly from metal with very little (or nothing) the dog can get a hold of when inside.

--- End quote ---

In principle that’s right, they are primarily intended for transport but  whether a dog is in one on  a flight for 8 hours or whether he sleeps in one for 8 hours in the kitchen is surely rather irrelevant. I used a carrier in lieu of a crate as I knew we‘d get more use out of it and it suited our purpose better, and I think there are quite a few people who do similarly, so its always good to be aware of possible dangers.  ;)

russ-g:

--- Quote from: bizzylizzy on January 23, 2023, 04:38:56 PM ---In principle that’s right, they are primarily intended for transport but  whether a dog is in one on  a flight for 8 hours or whether he sleeps in one for 8 hours in the kitchen is surely rather irrelevant. I used a carrier in lieu of a crate as I knew we‘d get more use out of it and it suited our purpose better, and I think there are quite a few people who do similarly, so its always good to be aware of possible dangers.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I dont think it is irrelevant, because there's a big difference between one-off uses and prolonged use in the home, as evidenced by the issue in this post. Im not suggesting people can't ever use them for dual purpose, but as you say, there are dangers such as the one in this post which suggest that they're not designed for this kind of use. Dogs love to chew plastic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version