Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

introdusing a pup to a older dog

<< < (2/2)

cleopatra:
hello,
 I think ill give that a go its a good idea thanks.
 emma                    

Mike:
I introduced mine pretty much as soon as possible. My springer has a great temperment anyway, so I knew there wouldnt be much of a problem - basically she just followed the pup (Daisy) round, wide-eyed ("what on earth is that?!"), for about an hour or so... Daisy however just looked adoringly at Jazz, and followed her every footsteps, which quite soon Jazz came to like. It worked out fine for me, but I know that it doesnt always. I always supervised them together to make sure everything was under control, and they didnt start sleeping together in the same place until I was absolutely convinced they were fine together, which was about 1 - 1.5 months later.                    

Lizzie:
I think each case is different.  My 9 year old cocker, Harriet, seems genuinely scared of my new 8 week old puppy and she is not a faint-hearted dog generally.  It might be that the puppy who is black looks too much like the "killer house rabbit" who has nipped Harriet several times!!!!  I am taking it very, very slowly and certainly not forcing Lottie on Harriet: they have had one or two close encounters and Harriet is a bit grousy but they will find their level one of these days.  It must be difficult for Harriet to understand this little, playful scrap chasing her and wanting to play and those little teeth - ouch!!!! - are soooooo sharp!

Mainly because of keeping Lottie and the rabbits separate I bought some metal caging panels which fit together to form a 4 foot square pen which is very useful and means that you can relax and do something else when you need to, knowing that nobody can harm anyone else.  These panels can also be used to form a fence across the room which means that Lottie can run around but not get at the buns.                    

Dessie:
Hi Cleopatra

My Breeder who is also involved with Cocker Rescue says that it works well with the Rescue Cockers as well when they are being introduced to another dog in the same household.

Dessie  :)                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version