Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

only one pup in the litter

(1/2) > >>

alenka:
Hi,
I see there are many experienced breeders on this forum, so could you help, please. We bred our Teddy on her 11th & 12th day and had only one pup (ABI). She was really ready for mating - accepted the male immediately. What went wrong? Another question - is it advisable to breed her again at her next season (that's what we were offered by the male's breeder) - or should we wait longer? She was 3 years in March.
Alenka                    

Jane S:
Hi Alenka

There can be many reasons why a bitch only has one puppy- although she was happy to be mated, she may not actually have been ovulating at the time (there is a blood test available to pinpoint ovulation called Pre-Mate, if you're in the UK). Another reason could be that more pups were conceived but were absorbed for one reason or another during the pregnancy. It may also be that the dog may have had poor sperm quality at the time- this can happen temporarily to dogs & doesn't mean you sholdn't use him again.

As Teddy only had one puppy, then I would think you are fine to go ahead with mating her again at her next season - one pup does not take much out of a bitch & you want to breed from her while she is fairly young - older bitches tend to have more problems whelping than younger ones.                    

alenka:
Thanks, Jane.
Do you think the test could be available outside Britain as well? (We're from Slovenia). We had some testing done (hormone progesterone), but unfortunately testing wasn't available over the weekend, so I decided to go on "her instinct "- and probably failed. I would love to use the same dog again (Fonnesse Fanfare, by Bitcon Troubador & Spinneyhill Sense of Rythm), because the pup is just wonderful! Her next season is in November.
Alenka                    

Jane S:
I'm not sure if the Pre-Mate test is available outside the UK-you could check with your vet. If you do mate Teddy again & you can't get access to testing, then I would spread your matings out over more days, say first mating on 10th day, 2nd on 12th day & if she will still stand, a third on the 14th day - this way you will hopefully have a better chance of catching her when she is ovulating. Good luck anyway :) Fonesse Fanfare is very nicely bred - many of our dogs are related to Bitcon Troubador & also Spinneyhill Sense of Rhythm too (she is the mum of Sh Ch Spinneyhill Stormy Weather)

Jane                    

alenka:
Yes - I must confess I mentioned Fonnesse only because I noticed your really wonderful dogs were bred from the same lines - my favourite.
I'll ask my vet and hopefully he can help.
Thanks for your advice.
Alenka                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version