Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

kennel club registration

(1/1)

Eljay:
Can anyone tell me if there is a problem with registering a puppy yourself with the kennel Club as opposed to the breeder doing it? Is there any other benefit to having him registered other than for showing?
I have the pedigree but Alfie wasn't registered when we collected him. The breeder said she would get round to doing it eventually, but I said it wouldn't be a problem as I don't intend to show him. So far I have had no news. I'm not too concerned, just a bit curious as to whether I really need it or not?
Thanx                    

Mike:
Hi Lou

As far as I know, you wouldnt be able to register Alfie yourself, this is something only the breeder can do - within one year of the birth of the litter I think.

KC registration is mostly to ensure that the breeding adheres to the KC breed standard - for example, the dam can only be bred from a certain amount of times, after a certain age, up until a certain age, and after having had the appropriate health tests. All of which ensures the standard of the pups produced, thus maintaining the quality of the breed in general.

If you're content with Alfie as a family pet only, with no aspirations to show, then his not being registered (if you're sure of the pedigree) won't matter at all. However, I dont wish to worry you unnecessarily, but sometimes, a breeder may stall on the registration because the litter might not correspond to KC rules. So for this reason alone, I'd pursue the registration with your breeder.                    

Jane S:
Mike is correct - only the breeder can register puppies with the Kennel Club. There are good reasons for having a KC reg pup disregarding the show/breeding angle - KC registration is the nearest thing we have in this country to a guarantee that a pup is purebred & all reputable breeders do register their pups & they normally do it before the pup is old enough to leave for a new home. I have noticed an increasing trend lately for some breeders not to bother with KC registration & it's either to save money (for those breeders who breed for financial motives) or because their litters fall foul of the KC restrictions Mike mentions. Some of these breeders say the litter will be registered but then don't bother (knowing that in most cases the buyer won't pursue it). Fair enough if you were charged a lower price as is normal with non-registered puppies, but if you paid the same price as a registered pup, then you have been taken advantage of, in my view.                    

Eljay:
Thank you both for your advice. I was a bit concerned as the breeder seemed to be a good one and I had asked before about the registration. Anyway decided you were right and I should ask again, so rang her and she has apologised profusely and says she is getting it sorted. It was due to the stud owner being in Australia and then having a berevement. She has even offered to take me to a show with her to see how Alfie gets on. (Yes I know I said he was just the family pet , but do fancy giving it a go!!)
Thanks again for making my miond up for me.! :)                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version