Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

how many meals?

<< < (3/3)

*Jay*:
Mine are kept on two meals a day. My uncle had a collie who just had one meal but he would pick at it during the day. Can't see any of my boys doing that somehow ;D I switched Vegas over to two meals when he was 6 months old and it suits us fine.                    

jakieboy:
Ebbie only has the one meal - proper doggy food, but during the day - whenever i go out - ie to drop kids off, pick them up, work etc she gets chewsticks, or biscuits or something else nice - so she doesn't have to last all day on an empty tum, even when i am at home all day - she still reminds me to give her something from the cupboard (see the thread about annoying traits), she's quite funny and very hard to ignore.  If she didn't have so many other things i would feed her twice a day - of course - at the mo - she is having 2 meals and treats cos of the pups - not that she is feeding them anymore so i have got to reduce it further.                    

Gilly:

--- Quote ---I'm really confused

Phoebe is on two meals a day and the vet advised me that as long as she was getting the amount of food she would be fine on two meals.

I'm not sure when to swap her to adult food or when to swap her to one meal. The packets say one thing but experienced members on here have different views. I think its better to see what your dog is like.

Phoebe is quite small but well rounded (not fat - yet) so I think she's being fed the right amount of puppy food. But after 6 months the packs say adult food - I think I'll keep her on it until she's 8 months or so.

She is still quite a light weight too - the only worry is that I don't want to over feed her.

Help  

--- End quote ---

I'm in the same boat as you Anita...Buttons is only 5 months old just a coupke of days ago and she's been on 2 meals a day for a while...simply because she's just not a greedy big eater....it's still the same amount of food as 3 meals...just into 2 thats all, she seems to eat better this way....I'm gonna keep her on 2 meals brekkie and tea and swap her to adult food at about 8 months. :D
By the way I never read the packets...I usually guess...but it's very rare she ever finishes a full meal ::) she's just not a big eater :-                    

Anita:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll keep her on puppy food until she's about 8 months and then see how she's doing.

After reading all the advise I might keep her on two meals but she's not a very greedy dog. She also gets biscuits and chew sticks after a walk or when we have left her for a bit.

I just don't want her to turn into a barrel ;D I try and make sure her food quantity is altered if she has had a few too many biscuits.

By the way - tried her with a chicken wing yesterday ;D She was very wary at first as if to sya - 'what on earth is this???' It didn't take her long to eat it!!!!

I'm going to wait and she if her tummy is ok with it before giving her another one ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version