Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

how many meals?

<< < (2/3) > >>

FionaM:
I put Poppy on 2 meals a day when she was about 6 months old and that's what she's still on (she's now 14 months). I give her half the daily amount at breakfast time and the other half in the evening.

I think you can go down to just 1 meal at 1 year but I think I'll stick to 2 meals  :)                    

Anita:
I'm really confused :(

Phoebe is on two meals a day and the vet advised me that as long as she was getting the amount of food she would be fine on two meals.

I'm not sure when to swap her to adult food or when to swap her to one meal. The packets say one thing but experienced members on here have different views. I think its better to see what your dog is like.

Phoebe is quite small but well rounded (not fat - yet) so I think she's being fed the right amount of puppy food. But after 6 months the packs say adult food - I think I'll keep her on it until she's 8 months or so.

She is still quite a light weight too - the only worry is that I don't want to over feed her.

Help :o                    

Pammy:
Technically a puppy is a puppy until they are twelve months old. However, when it comes to feedng etc you have to be guided by your own dog. By the age of twelve months most Cockers can manage on one meal a day. Many owners though do like to feed two. Mine usually get two - a light breakfast and then the evening feed at about 7.00. It all comes down to what suits you and yours the best.

As for changing from puppy to adult food - again it depends on your puppy and also what you are feeding. Many now produce a junior range and that can be used from about 6/8 months to 12 months or so - but many go straight from puppy to adult at around 8 months of age. No hard and fast rules. Puppy tends to have much higher levels of protein in it for the growing pup.

hth                    

Jane S:
We have always fed our adult Cockers two meals a day - this is what I have found suits them & what I recommend our puppy buyers continue with once their puppies become young adults. I think it's unfair to expect a dog to eat just once a day - he or she is going to spend an awful long time with an empty tum :)

As for when to feed adult food, as Pam says this is down to personal preference. Cockers are a fast-maturing breed & are more or less fully grown by 8 or 9 months & so no longer need the higher protein found in puppy foods. I personally see no need for special Junior formula foods for a Cocker & all our dogs will go onto adult food at about the 8 month stage. This is what works for us anyway :)                    

Jen:
thank you - I'll now 'digest' this lot - (excuse the pun ::))                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version