Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Reducing Meals

(1/3) > >>

Mary:
I really need some advice on how to cut Lotties meals down to 2 a day :-
She is presently fed first thing in the morning, when I arrive home lunchtime and then teatime.  My aim is to feed her morning and then again at about 4ish.

My problem is when I come home lunchtime, after a lovely welcome, she then gets really excited as she is in routine of having her lunch then (she'll do anything for food and NEVER LEAVES ANY ::)).  So I decided the best time to cut it out was a couple of weeks ago during half-term as I don't work then so we were out of routine ;D.  After 3 days, I am embarressed to say I started giving her it again as she was driving me MAD :o

Must have that inner body clock as she KNEW when 12.15 was and from then on sat in the kitchen whining by the cupboard or following my every move.  I took her out to distract her but she started immediately we got home again >:(  The odd treat didn't work either.  

Any tips anyone?                    

Sue H:
I am aiming to get Bramble round to the same routine as Lottie, and I have been trying to extend the gap between breakfast and lunch by taking the dogs out for their walk a bit later than before - say at about 1pm, and then feeding when I get back (the idea being that eventually lunch will become tea..). Bramble seems least keen on breakfast out of his three feeds - the only one he really gobbles down is lunch, and that is probably because Barley is fed then as well - gannets >:(  I think that they are a bit like children really - when they get to a size where they can take on enough at one time to keep them going for longer, then you can reduce the frequency of their smaller meals..  Barley is 7 now and it all seems so long ago that I went through this with her, and spaniels are such little piggies, that I shall await any further repllies with interest :D                    

ETavernor:
Mary - are you a teacher by any chance?  If so - snap!!  Scooby has always been indifferent over his food - he is a good eater but will frequently walk away from his bowl and then return for another nibble.  We have problems getting him to eat his forth meal at about half past eight as he is always so sleepy!!!  Could you work out Lottie's daily food intake and divide it equally into three servings- reducing each portion slightly?? I don't know??

Emma                    

Gilly:
Well Mary...what can I say...I WISH I had your problem....Buttons only eats ONE meal a day most of the time.....TWO if I'm lucky, she's just not a big eater at all...and I worry about the opposite...is she getting enough ???                    

Anita:
Mary

The only thing I did was to reduce the amount of food given at the meal you want to cut out.

I did this over a two week period so the middle meal got smaller and the others a bit bigger. But, Phoebe has never been a greedy guts.

She still has biscuits when she comes back from her walk but not at any set time.

It is hard though when they look at you with those spaniely eyes ;D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version