Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

Chocolate and cream cockers ?

(1/4) > >>

Colin:
I recently came across an unusually coloured cocker in the park. The man walking it described it as chocolate and cream, a colour I've never heard of before. The dog was predominantly choc but with a creamy coloured undercarriage and cream facial markings similar to the tan bits on a black and tan. The man told me there were only 16 or 60 ( I couldn't quite make out which  ::)) cockers of this colour in the country. I thought it looked really attractive.

Is this a recognised cocker colour or would it be described as "mismarking" due to breeding between a solid and a parti ? Are there any other rare and unusual colour combinations that are recognised as "traditional" cocker colours ?                    

Jane S:
There's no such colour as chocolate & cream I'm afraid (sounds tasty though ;D) You can have chocolate & tan (a solid like black & tan) or you can have chocolate roan, chocolate roan & tan or chocolate & white or chocolate, white & tan (all particolours) - all these are quite rare but I shouldn't think anyone knows for sure how many of each of these colours there are in the country ;) Next time you see this chap, you could perhaps whip your camera out & take a pic - I'd be interested in seeing this dog as I've never seen one marked like this before. Am assuming it was perhaps a mismark or a choc & tan with v pale tan markings ;D                    

Colin:
I think it was with a dog walker and he didn't seem too sure about his description of "choc and cream" to be honest. I couldn't see how he'd possibly know how many others in the country there were either.Unfortunatley I didn't get too close to the dog as I had one eye on Misty who was sniffing about for twigs to munch on. ::) From a distance the "cream" bits looked more blonde to me, a similar colour to Jimmy's old quiff but slightly darker maybe. Perhaps it was a choc and white in need of a bath ? ??? Do they have the white markings above the eyes etc  and a solid choc back though or are they marked with patches similar to a black and white ?

I will keep my eyes peeled for another glimpse of this rare beast and have my camera at the ready ! ;D                    

Jane S:
Sounds more like a choc & tan the more I hear as the tan varies quite a lot in depth of colour. There are some pics at http://w1.457.telia.com/~u45710738/livertan1.htm, not v good pics for the most part unfortunately plus one is a choc roan & tan ;)                    

LindaW:
I call them liver and tan and I have one called Pippa.  Will try and post a photo of her - she is PAT dog (don't know how to do the photos!!) ??? ???
Linda                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version