Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Toilet training a new puppy

<< < (2/2)

astankovic:
That is the exactly how our puppy behaves! :) We still try to praise him,  run to him and pet him a little bit.

Alex                    

xander_ho:
Hi,

Puppy will always be puppy, they like to play.When training mine, I was advice to take the puppy to an area that wouldn't interest them i.e. no bushes or anything that might look remotely interesting, so they can concentrate on doing their business.

What you're doing, taking the puppy outside every hour is great!! As the puppy gets older you will find that they can hold longer, this is a very useful exercise especially night time till morning. Just keep up the training and puppy will be housetrained in no time ;D. Mine has already learned to scratch the door when she needs to go :D, mine you, there are still occasional accidents :-[ but we'll get there.

Alexander                    

Mary:
Garry

Even though Lottie is over a year now, I still find I praise her when she goes to toilet ;D

I always praise her when she is actually going to  the toilet ;D....I may be stood at the back door and she's right down the garden but with enthusiasm in your voice you will get eye contact and I then give her a big warm smile along with the praise.  Leo will soon link the two together ;)                    

Anita:
Garry

I'm the same as Mary with Lottie. I still praise Phoebe and use the words so she knows its the right thing to do. Phoebe is 1 now and I still do it as I think you never stop training them.

If you keep at it these things will come with time.

Anita                    

taliska:
Can only go along with what has been said already, in the first few mins it seemed like we took tali out every five mins, but it was prob about every hour, every time he had a drink or meal partic and after every time he had been on his own.  I would always say go toilet, repeatedly till he went and then ots of praise, adn he has just about got the hang of it - :P UNLESS of course its raining, we have a cocker that doesn't like to goin the rain. he'll go out (well we shove him out) wander round quickly and at the first chance come straight back in and wee on the Carpet.!!!  :- I now make sure he stays out till hes gone.  Its also harder if there is someting going on outside like the cats.  He forgets he wanted to go, comes back in and then wees, so every time he goes out - keep talking  and wait till they have gone..  :D                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version