Off Topic > Photography

Photograph dpi sizes

(1/3) > >>

JaspersMum:
I have a couple of photos that I want to enter into a photo competition but the rules state they should be 300dpi.

One of the photos is 2930 x 1954 and the other 1805 x 2303 so how do I know the dpi or change it?

Aearoniel:
The dpi is the resolution of the image when printed, so both those sizes could still have a resolution of 300dpi. Do you have to print the image to enter it? Otherwise you could play around with resolution in your imaging software.

JaspersMum:

--- Quote from: Aearoniel on August 15, 2007, 03:53:17 PM ---The dpi is the resolution of the image when printed, so both those sizes could still have a resolution of 300dpi. Do you have to print the image to enter it? Otherwise you could play around with resolution in your imaging software.

--- End quote ---

No, it says you can submit on a disc which is what threw me as I did a bit of research this morning and it all pointed to the print size  - wondered if I had missed something  :huh:

Pammy:
I think it's for when they print them. dpi is normally used in relation to printing ;)

Helen:
your pic is probably 72dpi (is the norm from a canon 400d or 350d which i assume is what you're using?) you will need to get into a programme like photoshop to change the image size.

now if you change it to 300dpi you will consequently increase the image size so that will need to be reduced.

I get images of 2930 x 1954 as pretty much standard on my 400d, and they are always 72 dpi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version