Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

FIRST WALKIES

(1/4) > >>

Lindaphills:
Hi, all, ;D

Jess is having her last vacc. tomorrow and was wondering if there are any tips for going out for our first walk.  Should I let her off the lead for the first time or wait until she is better trained.  I have put on the lead and walked her up and down the garden etc so she is at least familiar with it.
Any helpful hints or lessons from past experiences valued.

As they say Forewarned is Forearmed  ;D

Linda and Jess                    

Jane S:
Hi Linda

Just checking you know you won't be able to take Jess out straight away after her final vaccination - most vets recommend around 10 days after the final jab so check with your vet what his/her recommendation is.

When you do get the all clear to take Jess out, you should certainly start letting her off the lead as early as poss but make sure you choose a safe, enclosed area away from busy roads to begin with. Also make sure you have a supply of treats in your pocket & keep calling her back to you, then rewarding her when she comes with a treat & lots of praise. Never ever tell her off if she is a bit slow to come back to you or you could deter her from coming back at all in future. I'm sure others will be along with their tips soon but these are just a few to start you off :)                    

Lindaphills:
Hi Jane,
Thanks for the tips.  I know I won't be able to take her out straight away but as you can see I'm so excited I just want to make sure I have all angles covered if u know what I mean ;D

I have heard a lot about this liver cake that dogs love, but what actually is it and How do you make it ???
I could take some of this with me then, on our first walk.

Ta for the advice Jane, will keep u posted as to how she gets on.                    

FionaM:
Hi Linda

Here is a link to an old thread where Pammy posted the recipe for Liver cake

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1222;start=0

I've only it a couple of times before I was banned from ever making it in the house again. My boyfriend reckoned he could still smell it a couple of days later :P I'm sure it will be a success with Jess though ;) ;D                    

Rae & Marty:
Hi Linda,

I can't offer any advice but have a question that might be of help to you as well.  We are taking Woody out on the lead but he wants to return home all the time.  He has to be co-erced out of the house and grudgingly walks for a while and then on the return nearly runs home.  Has anybody else experienced this and have any suggestions?

Sorry for hijacking your post Linda but it might help.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version