Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Stair/door gates

(1/3) > >>

pwhite48:
Another 'product' question!

The puppy-proofing of the house continues.  We're going to have a stair gate/baby gate/door gate thingy on the kitchen door.

In Argos, they have a dog one for £30-odd, however, in the baby section they do ones that look very similar for £16.  They look almost identical, and I think the only difference in the height of the gate.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of these?  I'm wondering if the baby one would do just as good a job, or whether Cockers are likely to jump over them?

With the costs incurred in having a pup, if I can save £15 here and there, it makes quite a difference :wink:

Thanks guys
Phil                    

PennyB:
I got a baby gate from Argos (one of those that's easy to fix in place £24.99 one with a gate so I can go through it quite easily and not have to climb over it) and I doubt if they could jump over them but when they're very young they can squeeze through them! Mine's decorating the hallway as they keep bouncing the handle on the hall door and jumping through to greet the person I'm talking to at the door.                    

Phil:
The only advise I'd give about the baby gates for Argos is check the size of your doorway! We've just got one for our dog and it wont fit as our doorways are too narrow. Doh!

Phil                    

Jane S:
We had the same problem Phil - living in a old cottage, our doors are narrower than your average door. We found a baby gate that fits in Mothercare - it's one of those adjustable ones so will fit various widths.                    

Anita:
We got our first gate from mothercare. It was really adjustable. (Our kitchen archway is quite wide). I think it cost about £30.

At first she could squeeze through so we had to use extra bits of wood until she was older.

Beware though, once she got to 12months she could jump over it!. We never saw her do it as she waited until we were out. The kitchen is very big so she didn't need much of a run up either! We then bought the god one from Argos which is much taller - I think it was about £35 but I wish we had got that one first - it would have saved my skirting board. We did have to send for the extensions which were about an extra £5.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version