Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

boarding my cocker puppy Jess

(1/4) > >>

Lindaphills:
Hello all,
Hope everyone had a great christmas :lol:  I am in a terrible predicament :cry:  My husband has booked a long weekend in Barcelona for our 10th wedding anniversary on the 22nd January.  Jess cannot stay at my mums because my mum has her litter sister and they do not get on when in each others houses, they are ok on walks but not in our houses.  My mum in law has a 10yr old springer spaniel bitch who does not tolerate Jess jumping all over her and so she can't stay with them either.  I have no-one else to ask so it seems my only option is the kennels.  I have heard glowing reports about the place from other owners but I am breaking my heart.  do you all think she is too young to be put in kennels (20 weeks).  She is quite a nervous puppy as well, not like her sister who is bold and outgoing.  I am worried that she will not cope with the change of environment very well at all.
How do other people manage I wonder.  any opinions or personal experiences would be valued.  
I am seriously considering cancelling the trip, I feel totally miserable at the thought of her going into kennels with strangers.

Has anyone boarded their puppy at this age? please let me know of your experience.

Thanks all
Linda and Jess                    

Jane S:
Sorry to be negative Linda but I don't feel boarding kennels are the best place for a nervous puppy. Have you thought about asking Jess's breeder to have her back for those few days? Many good breeders will look after "their" puppies for holidays etc & at least you would know she would be in familiar surroundings. Obviously this would not be an option if you weren't 100% happy with the breeder but it's something to consider if you are. Another option would be to pay a pet sitter to come & look after Jess in your own home - there are various reputable pet sitting agencies but they are inevitably more expensive than boarding kennels. Minders Keepers seem to have a good reputation (http://www.minders-keepers.co.uk/) but there are other companies too of course - just do a search on Google.                    

PennyB:
How about boarding her for a day/overnight to see how she is before you go. Recommendations from other people are always good. A weekend isn't long either so she should be fine.

I replied to 'your reply' on my post re kennels and I think in our cases our circumstances are different.

Its always better to get them used to kennels at an early age if you can so I wouldn't worry about her age.                    

Jane S:
Penny's idea of a one day stay in a boarding kennel is a good one - you will know then if Jess is likely to find staying there for a longer period too stressful. I see you have had postive responses to this question on another forum so I guess I'm the odd one out :wink:                    

PennyB:
Funnily enough Jane I was going to suggest the breeder but I wasn't sure whether that was the norm (I know of one friend who boarded her dog recently with her dog's breeder).

Re house sitting. I was quoted about 40 a day (before food for the sitter) from Animal Aunts but that's for 2 dogs and 2 cats and I would rather go with an organisation that is good. Some house sitters charge a lot less but they are on their own and so you have to be careful about who you invite in. Eventually I may go down that route once my house is finished!                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version