Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Biting/nipping

(1/2) > >>

shonajoy:
Hi there, our boy, Indie, is 12 weeks old today, and I'm really worried. All I seem to be saying is *NO!*, and I'm worried he'll hate me! He is great some of the time, then forgets and nips, mostly when he's playing.

I'm sure there's no malice in it, and when he does it we stop playing, or put him down and say a firm *NO*. We also ignore him for a while, but he must be really strong willed because nothing is working. It's also never preceded by a growl, he only growls when he's play fighting his sausages dog toy!

We have been doing the amichien bonding method too, since he was very wee, we eat first, he goes throught the door last, and we ignore him when first coming in. He's fine with all that, and well trained in that way, sitting when told to, it's just the biting thingy. I'm sure he must think of me as the witch who says *NO* constantly!                    

markjcage:
Have you tried shrieking in pain then ignoring him?
This worked with Daisy, although only after a while.
I think she only really stopped atotally fter she had finished teething, but that's when she'd already lost the razor teeth!                    

*Jay*:
I had the same problem with Vegas and none of the usual methods worked for us. I just had to persevere with saying 'No' and then ignoring him. I just felt like I was constantly telling him off and we weren't able to have any fun together because he was nipping all the time. I wouldn't worry about indie hating you though - Vegas didn't stop this until he was about 6-7 months and he is now such a mummy's boy :wink:  Just persevere with what you are doing and I'm sure he'll catch on eventually                    

Daisydoo:
Indie soundz like my little Daisy, who when she isnt barking is playbiting - I too seem to be saying No an awful lot but I do know it is slowly working - particularly now I am getting wiser and ignoring her  :D  trouble is they are soooo cute and when she looks at me with those big droopy eyes I just want to cuddle her !! :cry: But I am perservering as I want (as far as I can with a Cocker !) a disciplined dog when she is older                    

shonajoy:
Awww, thanks everyone. I have tried the shrieking in pain one, he just looks at me! I'll persevere, I'm glad to know that Vegas is a mummy's boy, that was my fear with Indie.

Lovable scamps, eh!                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version